Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Jones Bass Briefcase

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by aroscoe01, Apr 1, 2005.

1. hello all...

just trying to research amps to use with a double bass. I recently bought a Realist after trying a Fishman and later on the "old school" technique where you wrap the mic in a towel and shove it in the bridge. I've decided I was just tired of dealing with them.

Since my bass has been in the shop I haven't been able to try out the Realist yet, but was thinking of upgrading to an amp that would compliment it nicely.

When not playing in orchestras and opera I would really need amplification for theatre gigs. I recently bought a small venue amp (really for EB), the SWR LA-10. A nice sounding amp for small electric gigs but I dont think it would work for upright - mainly for not being powerful enough.

So that brings me to the forum which just has crazy amounts of information - I would have to quit my job to read it all! So I thought I would ask anyone if they have any thoughts or experience w/ the PJB briefcase or something comparable.

Sorry for the long explanation.
    Andrew

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I had one for a while but finally sold it and kept my old AI Contra...not so much based on preference for the Contra, but that the Contra had so much mileage and gig wear that'd it'd have been more difficult to sell. I actually slightly preferred the sound of the Briefcase. I posted some thoughts here.

You might also try a search on past threads.

3. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    My evolution was from the big name companies like Mesa, GK and Eden, to my first 'breakthrough', the Acoustic Image Contra. Since then, it's been an incremental, but significant advances up from the Contra, starting with the PJB Briefcase, to the Clarus head (the AI Contra's electronics without the speaker) driving Acme's, and now an LDS (www.lowdownsound.com) 1x8 3way speaker cabinet coupled with a Clarus head. I really think the gems of the Acoustic Image line are their electronics - you'll find any of them hard to beat. I require a very accurate sound and the smallest, lightest setup. The Acme B1 with a Clarus or the LDS 1x8 with the Clarus are as good as I've found for tiny, powerful, and accurate rigs. My results came from 'controlled' comparative demonstrations in solo and small jazz group settings.

4. Thanks for the insight. I'm still checking out different forums and websites, trying to do my HW. There is a ton of info to go through and try and digest. I just hate buying something then have to turn out to not work as one hopes. Thanks again.

5. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    You won't get a lot of volume out of the PJB although the tone is very good.

I'd go with the Acoustic Image line. Whether it's a combo amp or the head paired with another cab, I haven't found anything better for portability, power and accurate sound than AI.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Briefcase, and my primary inspiration for picking it up was the battery-powered option (for jaming out in the great outdoors). The sound is quite nice, and very full for an amp of its size. However, if the battery option is not an issue, then if I were looking for a very compact rig, I'd be highly tempted by something like a Clarus SL with one of the 3-way 1x8's from Low Down Sound. I hear that Don is looking at making a "fliptop" version of this cab that will have a Clarus head built in!