Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Lynott's Gear?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I Have turned into a huge Phil Lynott Fan, and i wondered what his amps was?
    I Know He Used Fender P basses, Rickenbackers, Dean Armstrong, BC Rich and Ibanez Roadster RS900(he used Fender P and the Ibanez Roadster RS900 basses the most, if you see on pics from the 80's he mainly have the ibanez...)

but i wanna know what Amps he used, i have seen them on "Live at rockpalast" but i have never managed to identify them...

Someone can help me?

2. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    He used acoustic amps for a period, that's all I remember :smug:

3. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    He used Dynacord amps during the last stages of his career, those might be the ones on the Rackpalast gig. Two quite big combos with one 15" loudspeaker. Earlier he used Hiwatt, Marshall and Acoustic amps.

The last bass he favoured was an early Roland synth/midi bass (equipped with a mirrored scratchplate, of course).

4. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Is that the Black one wich looks like An Ibanez RS900. but black with rosewood Fretboard?

5. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    Check out the Link Below for more info on Phils association with Fender. I photographed him live in the 70's using a heavily modified Ampeg Flip-Top Head through some Bass Bins on Stage as Monitors-thru th PA-- sounded like Godzilla
    And Oh my, he sure did love that MXR 126 Flanger/Doubler

http://www.fender.co.uk/fenderfiles/TheTenMostWantedFenderBasses.asp

6. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    The Ibanez Basses were a see through transparent red finish. The black bass used during his last sessions with Thin Lizzy and Gary Moore, Grand Slam ect was a Roland (but built at the Ibanez factory) All of the Midi Components were removed to lighten the thing up--I believe the Model was GR33B or something like that, the whole thing was painted black. Throughout his career he used Rickenbacker model 4000, Danelectro Six String, Dan Armstrong Lucite, and his trademark 60's Precision.

7. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I would guess its late 60's P Basses then? Due to the Logo, wich looks like the logo thats the trademark for 70's Fender Basses.

I know the Ibanez'es was See Through Finish, i just bought one of the exact model.... :p will recive it in some weeks...

8. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    I think his "number one" bass was a 62 Slab neck. He was endorsed by Fender in the mid to late seventies so when you see the maple neck one that is definately a 70's model.

You are going to love that Ibanez! I have owned several of these including the Blazer and they really nail the Fender Sound--for a heck of a lot less money. There is some footage shot in a studio which shows Philip playing a doubleneck 4/6 string Ibanez especially made for him.

20 years ago last month that he passed, I've seen the revised line-up twice and while the music still makes me nostalgic I miss partying with the man himself.

Saw every tour from 1976 thru 1983--backstage for most of them. What a band!

lesliegl likes this.
  9. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Yeah, but the rosewood neck also have a late 60's/70's logo?

10. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    Look close at the video for the Sidney Australia show. Thats Philips main Fender and it has the old sixties logo. I am 99% certain it is a 62.

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I remember seeing those too. I think for a bit he used a hodgepodge fliptop/Acoustic rig too-- ampeg driving 361 cabs or something?

12. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    but if you look at the headstock on the bass they have on Fender Europes site.... that cant be his main bass then?

[​IMG]

13. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    I don't believe that is his "main bass". I will have to dig through my archives to support this. Of course the only difference would be the logo and the fact that the fretboard would have a bit of a "curve" to it, and not the "slab" board of the early sixties ones. During the "Live and Dangerous" period Fender probably threw a bunch of basses at him, this is more than likely one of them.

14. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    weird... cause i have seen some pics of him, and the ones he used on them had that logo...

and Fender Europe seems like they talk about that exact bass that he have on that picture.

meh, what do i know i, realy like the looks and sound Ibanez RS900 though.. anyone know where i can get a pickguard like phil had for it? :p

15. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    i have acouired a Ibanez Roadster RS900TV Bass, most brilliant thing, i can deffinitivly see why Phil would play em..

but i checked on an ibanez collector page, and it said phil had "Artists own" bass? was that regarding to his Synth Bass or the Mirror on the SR900TV?

16. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    Both Basses, the Roadster and the Roland were made by Ibanez. The Roadster was essentially a Blazer Bass with a big humbucker closer to the bridge as opposed to the Blazer which had the split P-Bass type, all of the examples I've had said "custom made" on the headstock. The Roland was a synth bass with the guts removed. On the Roadster he applied a Mirror P-Bass pickguard, on the Roland he used a mirror pickguard from an early style P-Bass (1951) Here is a link to an advert from his Ibanez endorsement:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Phil-Lynott-Iba...Z7590734104QQcategoryZ210QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

17. mdupont15

mdupont15

Jun 4, 2008
    Is this the Roland bass you're talking about? :)

Attached Files:

18. wtcornet

wtcornet

Oct 9, 2008
    During the Live and Dangerous era, I think he had a miked B-15 to send his tone back to the mixing board.

19. After watching this video, I only see Marshalls.

Qlanq likes this.
  20. Phil has a Ampeg flip top type amp behind him on the Sydney Opera House gig from 1978 and what looks like 2x15 Marshall cabs...

I think this concert gives the best idea of what Phil Lynott was using amp and cab wise at the time

Leslie

GazzBass likes this.