Phil Lynott's Gear?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Phil is an absolute legend. I wonder what happened to his Rickenbacker?

2. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    I've been going down a Thin Lizzy rabbit hole lately. Does anyone know what effects he used? I thought I heard chorus on a few songs and what is used in the opening of Dancing in the Moonlight?

Clank Plank likes this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I’m guessing that what you’re hearing is actually a phaser, most likely MXR, which was the big deal in those days. At least that’s what it sounds like to me.

matty1039 likes this.
  4. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Thanks. You never know with old threads if it is going to get picked back up.

I was not sure if it was a phaser or some type of envelope filter, but I guess that is the beauty of phaser. It can do a lot depending on the settings.

5. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    I've read somewhere that Phil used MXR effects. "Dancing in the Moonlight" sounds like a Phase 90 to me. He was also known to use the rackmount 126 Flanger/Doubler. I dunno if that's the one you hear on their albums, but it definitely sounds like some kind of flanger on "Waiting For An Alibi" and "Opium Trail."

Here's a great 1981 interview where he talks about his gear in detail:
    Interview: Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott on "What Makes a Renegade Tick" | Bacon's Archive

Oddly and matty1039 like this.
  6. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Really a great interview. Glad to know people archive these that way we can enjoy them all these years later.

cusar5 likes this.
  7. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Phil had an interesting perspective on life. It’s a shame he left so soon.

“...there are more people out there that can play bass guitar. But there's not a lot of people out there with a voice like mine.”

Love that line!

8. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Exactly. I've noticed many unique musicians have that talent. Geddy Lee, Lemmy, Phil Lynott, etc

9. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    c3c0e8f01e15932355a643094bb16fb6.jpg

10. Lo Ki

Lo Ki Guest

Feb 19, 2021
    Saw Thin Lizzy open for Kansas at Cow Palace in '77 and with Gary Moore at one of the Day on the Greens/Oakland Coliseum in '78 or '79. Kikaxe!!!

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  11. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Very lucky. Better days. Much better days.

Lo Ki likes this.
  12. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    was it a Star Trek Phaser ? set on stun or kill ?

13. E666C8AB-DCE0-4703-8738-B88BF4DB431D.jpeg Always on kill.

Oddly, Clank Plank, Spyrosaab and 6 others like this.
  14. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Know it's an old comment, but the Hiwatt is a DR103, not a DR201, only has the one red light next to the standby and power instead of the red and green light above the switches.

15. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
  16. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Well I know for sure that this was his back-up bass...

44D69035-491C-44A7-B9AA-2EAF30E099A1.jpeg

17. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    The Fender Custom Shop says that the Lynott bass they put out in 2019 is based on a 70s Precision, but I remember reading that Phil's #1 was an early 60s P. It had the same black finish and mirror guard, but a rosewood board. That one was supposed to be Phil's favorite bass for recording.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021