1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PHILOSOPHY amplifiers???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejumpcat, Dec 18, 2011.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    They registered here the other day and posted a thread... neat looking head. I'd like to hear some samples and see some gut shots.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Gah! My brother is out there right now for his 21st. If only he were a bassist and sober enough to go check it out for us... :(

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Carbon comp resistors... :(

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Very cool looking amp. Not that I'm in the market for a new tube head, but I wish it had about a hundred more watts.

6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I like the looks, too...black paint on unfilled plywood...a lot like my basement-built rack cases, fEARfuls and Jack10s. :D

But what makes you think you'd hear any difference between 200 watts and 300 watts?

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    That warm sizzle and random cracking sounds as the composite degrades is true vintage amp tone. I've got a pile of them if anyone wants them, since I replaced them with modern sterile metal film so my amp only makes sounds my bass puts in.

Edit: And now I've looked over, no gutshots to show how good their hand wiring is, and no actual technical specifications under the "Technical Specs ".

8. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Yup. I'm all for the little guy/upstarts, but using carbon comps and listing them as a design feature tells me that they are either trying the same BS marketing used on the guitar crowd, or have been drinking the cool aid and actually believe they impart some kind of sonic mojo, in which case they have no business building amps in the first place.

9. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Yah, that kinda raised my eyebrows too.

Theres a link for a PDF download of the owners manual (which supposedly contain the real specs), but the link failed.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the multiple punctuation errors on the rotating headline blurbs don't help, either.

11. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    As a guitarist, I am so sick of this approach that I've started assuming everyone who does stuff like that is trying BS marketing and ignore them on principle.

Very pretty headshells and design aesthetic, but the lack of useful handles, protruding controls, and wonky tech specs is somewhat off-putting.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that tells me they're aiming at the tube amp collector/"bandroom player" type, rather than anybody who gigs regularly.

13. The link worked for me, not a tech spec to be found??? :meh::spit:

14. A 200 watt bass amp with supposedly overbuilt transformers, and no handles? What?

Pretty, but :meh:

15. they look original and i have very basic features, not a fan of the brand name at all.

they are definitely catering to the Emperor/Verellen boutique market thing that is going on these days, they should make some serious coin. they've cooked up the perfect recipe for GAS-stricken 18-30 year old bassists with tons of disposable income. very big market.

mais ce nes pas pour moi.

16. i'm afraid to see the price on this thing. :|

edit: found it. *puke*

17. "Our patented Mustard Mallory Caps and superb Carbon Comp Resistors give our amps unique technical features that enhance your playing style."

from their site.

excuse me while i... *puke*

"Our amp is an extension to bass players desire. We deviated from the lifeless direction of modern bass amps and crafted something inspiring."

well said... :rolleyes: maybe if bass players desires are completely shallow aka lacking any substance.

18. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I'm of the GAS stricken 18-30 crowd but I have what I need already. The only other thing on my hit list is a big tube amp but this guy is 200 watts too shy for me in that regard and apparently full of bs. Cool. I sooo need it. ;)

19. Yeah... lack of handles is what kinda kills it for me. The marketing speak about what you guys seem to concur are inferior parts also puts me off. Not that I could afford it, anyway, probably.