1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick: All Downstrokes, or alternate?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MammaryVest, Mar 2, 2008.

1. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    go with finger style. no problem about pick strokes when you play with your fingers

2. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

This is the winning answer.

Also, since it was brought up, accomplished metal guitarists don't strictly downpick. James Hetfield, usually the first accused of strictly downpicking, does alternate picks as needed. There are quite a few examples in the Metallica catalogue, especially in the early years.

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Around the time MoP came out at least, Hetfield had the right hand of God.

4. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    this also includes every other metal rhythm guitarist that i've ever heard. alot of metal riffs tend to use power chords with open strings thrown in between, and the opens are often quickly alternate picked, while the power chords are often all downstrokes. that's a bit of a generalization, and there are probably hundreds of examples that contradict that, but the point is that any decent metal guitarist is gonna use alternate picking when necessary, and they'll do downstrokes when necessary.

5. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    True, but then there's that whole problem with the SOUND.

6. Scot

Scot

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Like already said, both. It really depends on the style of music you're playing, and the sound and feel you're after. If the guitar player is chuggin' away playing downstrokes and you're playing in a style where you want to play what the guitar is playing then you're going to want to play downstrokes to match the guitar part. Playing fast 1/8 notes and using all downstrokes has a sound that, although can be a little frantic sounding, fits perfectly for some things where as other things sound better with a more relaxed alternating approach.

7. Bassmunkee

Bassmunkee Guest

Feb 20, 2008
    South West UK
    I use both, but to be honest it really depends upon what sound and feel you want for the piece or section you're playing.

8. Bassmunkee

Bassmunkee Guest

Feb 20, 2008
    South West UK
    [YAWN]:rolleyes:[/YAWN]

9. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

no reason to limit yourself. except where style and taste dictate.

i can slap. i don't.

i can pick all downstrokes or alternate. sometimes, some things are impossible to play in all downstrokes. i got examples if you need 'em.

anything i do with my fingers i can do with a pick.

if you're going to learn to play bass, learn to play bass. there's a lot to know. whether you use it or not is immaterial because you never know when you might want or need to anyway.

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Not only both but also upstrokes by them selves are useful