1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick an active bass for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, May 15, 2011.

my next active bass

Poll closed Jun 14, 2011.
  1. Active Jazz Bass

49 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. Active P Bass Special

50 vote(s)
    50.5%
  1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    DELUXE ACTIVE JAZZ
    0136760341_frt_wmd_001.

DELUXE ACTIVE PRECISION SPECIAL
    0135762355_frt_wmd_001.

Alright Talkbass, since I cant decide I need all of your help to pick my next toy.
    I have it narrowed down to what is pictured, and I am stuck between the two.

Currently I have a passive jazz and a passive pj, but my current band set up I want some more oomph. Looks aside, I am looking for opinions on pure function. Ive been mostly a Pbass kinda guy, but lately Ive been wanting another jazz. Played both and liked both.
    My band is semi aggressive sounding like A Day to Remember or Jamie's Elsewhere.

Actually here is a link to us here.

"Play what you like"
    "Get what you want"
    I know.
    Just pick one, mmmmk? thnx.

Looking for comments, opinions, experiences. Let me hear them.

Gord_oh

2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe I'm dumb, but I feel like an active p-bass seems to be a bit strange. This is totally an opinion based thing but I feel it sort of takes away from the character of the p-bass pickup. The one you cited was a special, with the jazz pickup in the bridge, but I often wonder why slap an onboard EQ into a bass with a precision p-up. I feel that since the jazz can use a little more punch in band mix, the active preamp seems to help them a bit more than hurt. This is why I voted for the active J =)

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    The Jazz. I agree with post above in that the Jazz caters better to an active circuit. It's a more complex sound anyway really, and there's more in there to deal with for an on-board eq.

And the Jazz looks more "secret"... like you have a savvy angle that the poor block-headed P-player isn't in on.

Just kidding. :D But I'd do the Jazz.

4. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i originally wanted the pj, but your words are my thoughts exactly. thats when i became torn.

5. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    ps- opinions on my band?

6. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'll get back on that tomorrow- for sure. I'm off! Good hunting...

7. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    uh...ok?

8. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I used to have one a few years back and so i am partial to active jazzes. They sound great but the neck was a bit too thick for me.

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i've played both and owned one.

i had the jazz and it was a great little bass. an active jazz makes sense to me. an active p does not.

10. My preference is typically a P bass over a J bass. But when it comes to active electronics, I prefer a J. P bass sound like Ps when passive, not active, IMO. A J bass sounds better active since it avoids all the noise issues with all passive Js. Again, that's IMO.

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    My passive MIA Fender P/J was my #1 for twelve years until I got my Spector Euro 4LX a few weeks ago. Frankly, the fat tones of the active P/J Spector blow the Fender away.

12. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    you'd get great fat tones out of a P/J i must agree, however, i love the looks of the Jazz bass... go with the sound over anything though IMO

13. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    There is a beauty and simplicity to the plain old passive one PU P bass that any alteration destroys.

Go Jazz, a better platform for hot rodding.

14. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    I picked P because I think you will get more versatility with the P/J setup... I need a P in the neck position for warmer tones and the J in the bridge will give you a quacky Jaco thing if you like that.

But who cares what I think?

See, you're all but admitting this is a stupid thread. You knew this was dumb when you posted it.

15. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Which one feels best in your hands? Which one feels like it's a part of you? For me, that's the first consideration. No sense buying a bass if it doesn't feel right.

Can't comment on the P/J bass because I've never played one. But I do have the Deluxe Active Jazz 5 string bass, so it's basically the same thing. Of course, one's style and amp have a lot to do with it, but I found that once I raised the pickups pretty high and turned the preamps treble, bass and mids about a quarter of a turn (+) past the nuetral position that it punches pretty good.

Believe it or not, I tried to get the output of my J to match that of my (believe it or not) passive Affinity Squire P bass! That little bass kicks! After doing a lot of comparing, adjusting this and raising that, the J kicks like the Squire. Differant tones of course, but they equal out in terms of output.

Bottom line; it's your hard earned money so take your time in buying, but for some reason I've always liked the vibe of a Jazz bass.

16. I am not an active 4 string guy, but that jazz is SEXY! I have a passive MIA Jazz.

17. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Jazz... (based more on looks though).

18. I voted pj. I have a few p basses and a marcus miller 4 string and I must say the active jazz does not sound like the brute in your face sound of a p. Hence why I voted pj. I think the pj would give YOU the best of both worlds in terms of sound and feel. The jazz basses always sounded thin in comparrison to a p bass even an active jazz. The active jazzes tend to have a lot of upper sparkle to them but I noticed the low end on them just isn't the same. Plus the p cuts better in the mix. Atleast with my band it does. Www.myspace.com/thenightlifenj.

19. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Good input guys. Exactly what I was looking for.
    Unfortunatly there is one store I can think of that would carry both of these in stock at the same time (not a GC).
    I might have to make the drive and go AB them together. I've played both, just not at the same time.
    Keep the comments and voting coming!

PS- buy my bass in the classifieds so I can get one of these.
    ;)

20. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm playing in drop d flat (c sharp), and need to keep that low end coming in hot.
    My setup now is a small fender combo amp, but I plan on getting an aguilar tone hammer 500 head and 410 cab.