Pick, Fingers, Thumb what is your choice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by boabski2k, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Pick

27.0%
  2. Fingers

84.9%
  3. Thumb/Pop

23.4%
  4. Other

12.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. boabski2k

boabski2k

Dec 24, 2008
    Scotland
    I am interested to see what the majority is.

Any others leave details please.

2. gotmule?

gotmule?

Apr 24, 2008
    I use all three. I mostly play fingerstyle, but I do use a pick and my thumb on occasion.

3. David J.

David J.

Dec 1, 2006
    South Bend, In
    mainly fingers but I do use a pick for some songs

4. I came to bass from playing those nasty 6-string things with thinner strings, and playing with a pick came with me. Although, I find that with a bass I prefer smaller and thicker picks, like the Dunlop Jazz IIIs.

Roger

5. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    i dont think i could play any faster, or cleaner with a pick or slapping.

6. I play with my fingers unless the bass line needs an extra BOOM to it, then I'll use my thumb. No slap and pop or picks, fingers or thumb only.

7. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    I used to use a pick, then I switched to my fingers as my nails started separating from the skin of my fingers. I loved the tone with a pick but fingers seems a bit more fitting for what I am doing.
    I can also play much much faster then using a pick.

8. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    Fingers Mainly, it feels more personal when playing with my fingers,

after that i slap and pop

and pick the least, but stil a bit

9. Mostly fingers. Some old school slap and pluck.

I voted for both.

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Yes!

11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Depends on the song and musical genre. Whatever the music calls for.

12. pseudoxh4

pseudoxh4

Jul 26, 2006
    Fingers, slap, tap and thumb on occasion.
    Like most others here I'm a lot faster with my fingers than with a pick, and I like the tone I get from striking the string at different locations. Voted for the last 3.

13. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I use my fingers and a pick. Some stuff, like Tiran Porter's lines on the Doobies stuff needs a pick sound, whereas Motown and funk stuff requires the fingers.

14. Fingers always. Just feels like I'm having a direct connection to the bass that way. Although sometimes I dig the tone of a pick, but never use one unless I'm on a guitar.

15. Fingers 90% of the time.
    Pick whenever called for ... typically for me its used with palm muting for a real percussive sound called for on some Stax-type stuff.
    A little slap/pop...depends on the song; currently in a blues band, not so much funk called for.

16. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I think the sound you are trying to achieve typically dictates the style you use. That said, I think a more interesting poll would be: "Which style do you least prefer to play?"

17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Pick. Since 1972.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    To the OP's original question, OTHER... which REALLY means, all of the above. But, finger-style is what I'm more comfortable with.

19. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    While I have no problem playing with a pick for guitar , I just never liked with bass. I play with my fingers 98% , if I want a real woody tone I'll use my thumb.

20. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It depends on the song I'm playing. I use; fingers, fingers & thumb (classical guitar style), slap/pop, pick, tapping, pinch harmonics, tap harmonics, and ebow (once I replace the one that was stolen from me).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021