1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PICK ONE NEW HEAD MESA OR MARK BASS ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by redwingxix, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Used M6 Carbine

186 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. Markbass Little Mark Tube 800

48 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Practicing last night and my Rumble 500 head starting making some crackling noises intermittently (it actually was doing this at last rehearsal but I wrote it off as a bad cable) so I swapped cables and basses and it continued until at one point all the output dropped out for about ten seconds, then came back. I use different cables and cab at rehearsal so the only common component is the head. Naturally gig is tomorrow night and with work and hockey games I won't have time to really do any further troubleshooting or serious amp shopping before setup tomorrow. However, the venue is down the street from a GC so I would have time to run down there and pick up a new head if my rumble is acting up and they have two heads in stock that are priced within $50 of each other that I'd consider, but haven't played either one. So the question is:

Mesa M6 carbine (used) or Mark Bass Little Mark Tube 800 ?

Thanks for your input.

The extra info:

Primary use is for classic rock and soul covers and originals band

Will be paired with fender 410 neo cab for gigs (until I divest myself of that)

Primary basses used are Fender Precision elite and G&L SB2

Markbass head is $699 new, M6 is $650 used, but add $100 for the GC pro coverage

Just sold my Rumble 500 combo the other day so the price differences are irrelevant, and now of course have no backup amp.

Yes I can go DI into the board, but the drummer and I like having my own cab on the backline, so this is an option if absolutely necessary.

I am concerned about having to mail the markbass somewhere for service as opposed to just taking the mesa back to GC if there are any issues.

I know that I will hear get the one that sounds better responses, but I'm seriously only going to be able to run in, grab one or the other and get back to the gig to finish set up.

BrentSimons and pjbassist like this.
  2. Mesa if it were me.
    But it's you, so...

3. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    that's where i'm leaning

4. Mesa,markbass heads are hard to get fixed.

5. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Anything over a Markbass. I would see if you could borrow or rent something for the weekend and maybe expand your horizons. Settling on either of these doesn't seem like something you WANT to do.

hintz and EatS1stBassist like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If given the choice...Mesa is better value for the money.

CA7B50DC-6487-4202-BE4D-E059A5EC8931.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Livewire, /\/\3phist0, Hnz and 9 others like this.
  7. Hmm, when I bought my MarkBass heads, I had a similar logo years ago for no Ampeg....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  8. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Get the carbine; they are fabulous amps

Aqualung60, dBChad and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Brightdaisy and S-Bigbottom like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Actually, Mesa customer service is outstanding. I sent my Walkabout to them a while back just for a cleaning and factory update. Good communication. Quick turnaround. Reasonable price. The whole experience was a breeze.

I would go for the Mesa all day long and twice on Sundays.

pcake, Photobass, Cracker7 and 11 others like this.
  11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Mesa, they have great customer service and as for the gear they put out it speaks for itself !!

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Whenever I’m buying something major like an amp, I buy with two criteria in mind:
    • it’s gonna last
    • it’s relatively easy to fix it - or get it fixed
    Mesa ticks both boxes.

No comment on MarkBass since I’ve only heard things about them and have no direct experiences of my own to base an opinion on.

I vote Mesa. Nice amps. Their D800/D800+ is on my GAS list if I’m eventually able to start gigging again.

MAXSPINRUN and jeff7bass like this.
  13. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Always wanted to try a mesa so it definitely wouldn't settling.

Also it always concerned me how markbass gear is always on sale and that sweetwater doesn't sell it.

Novarocker and armyadarkness like this.
  14. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Also, it seem like $650 for the mesa head is a pretty decent price.

15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Gonna have to say Mesa.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. having used both markbass ( little mark 3 ) and mesa ( subway 800 ) it's mesa all the way.

17. prue

prue Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, DR strings
    Mesa Subway D800+. Love mine.

18. chuck1073

chuck1073 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    I've heard that Markbass is now a GC house brand. That would explain the "no Sweetwater".

Aqualung60, pjbassist and bdplaid like this.
  19. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    That would make sense.

20. Fender05

Fender05

Oct 20, 2008
    Chicago
    I have an M6 and can't say enough good things about it. I had a Markbass and now I don't.

Get the Mesa.

hintz, pjbassist and EatS1stBassist like this.