Pick recommendation - Dunlop Ultex "sharp"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jens Busck, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Jens Busck

Jens Busck Guest

Nov 16, 2011
    Copenhagen
    Just wanna share a little tip: I've been using LOTS of different picks in recent years, and have for some time been okay with 1.14 standards. However I recently got some Dunlop Ultex picks in the "sharp" version, and they have proven to be the best bass picks I've ever used. The cool thing about them is that they are sharper than standards but not too sharp (like most sharp picks), and I find them incredibly fast and precise. My style is somewhat jazzy and I need a lot of control over my tone. I've been trying different gauges and have settled with the 1.40 version, since the sharp design calls for a thicker gauge. They're definitely worth a try!

Cheers

2. parmezans

parmezans Guest

Nov 25, 2011
    I'm sticking to my regular 1.0 Ultex.
    I have large hands so this big pick is comfy for me.
    It has just enough attack, wouldn't want it to be too sharp. It's flexible enough to play anything, but still solid.

3. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i've been pickin the guitar for 25 years ....i don't pick bass but i feel ultex are by far the greatest picks ever made! hands down .....awesome tone and durability....i use the standard shape 1mm and .73 for acoustic.

4. dtotheatothevto

dtotheatothevto Guest

Mar 6, 2012
    I love Ultex for guitar (acoustic/electric) and I just picked up a few thick, sharp ones for bass.

5. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I too dig the aforementioned picks. Very responsive with a nice attack. They seem to roll of the strings very nicely. 1.0mm for me.

6. KeithPoker

KeithPoker Guest

Apr 18, 2011
    Santa Monica Beach, CA
    i like Ultex rounded triangles in .60 and .73

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    May give 'em a try if I see them somewhere. I've been using the purple Dunlop 1.14 for years and years though and I have yet to find anything I like better.

8. 50hz

50hz Guest

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    you can get ultex in jazz iii (3) size FYI. I prefer big stubby 3.0 jazz size.

9. LuckyPants

LuckyPants Guest

Mar 7, 2008
    Dublin
    When I started playing bass, I bought 100 pink Dunlop 1.14s simply because they were pink.

Little did I know that I'd be still using some of those picks 8 years later. Love the 1.14s. I have 3 of them left from that 100 and they're the oldest bit of gear I have to do with bass, older than all my basses and whatnot

10. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    What is the difference between Ultex and Tortex?

:D

11. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I have been trying to get my pick chops up....and after many different kinds I have settled on tortex jazz 1.14...they just feel right to me.

12. 50hz

50hz Guest

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    Tortex is a synthetic tortoise shell, one of the oldest pick materials. I feel it has a warmer more subdued sound and feel, with a soft attack. ultex is a new synthetic material that is very dense and slick and has a bright attack that reminds me of a stone pick. i find i tend to get morefret buzz with ultex compared to the softer materials like tortex and celluloid, maybe because of the denseness of ultex which causes your attack to be stronger. IMHO

13. I prefer the Dunlop Big Stubby picks, 2.0mm size. They're made out of lexan, and they're the quietest pick I've tried yet. I hate the clackiness that you get with most picks, and the Big Stubbies don't have that. Works for me!

14. 50hz

50hz Guest

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    =1 I use 3.0 mm

15. Sam Evans

Sam Evans

Nov 29, 2008
    Good tip, thanks. I've been using the standard Fender heavy triangle tortoiseshell picks, but 20ish years ago, I used to have some yellow Fender triangle picks that were a little sharper, and I rather miss them. Maybe these will be a good alternative.