1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick ups of Bryan Kienlen (Bouncing Souls)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wipneus, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum, thanks for having me. I really hope one of you guys can answer my question. I simply love the bass sound of Bryan Kienlen form the Bouncing Souls. So i know he's using a Fender Jazz Bass from 1966. But in this video:
    Rig Rundown: The Bouncing Souls
    At 10:15 he says he has changed/maintained (almost) everything on the bass. So i was wondering what kind of pick ups he uses now. Can anybody help me out?
    Thanks guys.

Cheers,
    Harmen

2. Or should i move this to the bassist section?

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You're in the right section. I don't see any kind of identifying marks on them. Does he have any kind of endorsement deals or any hints to work with?

4. Thanks for the reply, i tried to look for endorsement deals of Bryan on the net but i can't seem to find any info. Just the one clip from premier guitar. Might try to get in touch with management or Bryan himself.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  5. Glass Eyed Ogre

Glass Eyed Ogre

Jan 25, 2018
    Boston
    I love the Bouncing Souls.
    Try reaching out to Bryan. I messaged him when the Souls came to Boston in December. I was already a few drinks in, and their show corresponded with my birthday, and he responded to me and was really nice!

6. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    One of the best bass sounds! I just saw them again in Brooklyn.

7. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’d also just reach out to him personally. I did that a few years ago with Chuck Dukowski from Black Flag and got an incredibly detailed response to my questions right away.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I'll echo the others here and say that is a great idea. Please post the results here too.

9. Haha you guys are great! Thanks! I dropped management an e-mail. As soon as i get a response i'll let you guys know. Thanks again. Such a warm welcome to the forum.

DiabolusInMusic and bolophonic like this.
  10. Got a quick response from management:

"something old and rusty! haha not sure man"

I asked him if he can give me any leads. To be continued...

DiabolusInMusic and SirMjac28 like this.
  11. Alright, seems out that they don't know either:

"I asked his guitar tech and he said he wasnt sure - but rusty and old... bryan definitely wont know haha"

Well i think that will conclude my search then. Such a shame.

12. I might be wrong so don't quote me on this, but I believe he replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan sj1.

DiabolusInMusic and Wipneus like this.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Hit him up on FB or Instagram, he's pretty active on there due to his tattoo shop. Great guys and an awesome band. I've seen them so many times since the mid-90s' I can't begin to count. His playing and tone were a huge inspiration to me.

Wipneus and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  14. Thanks guys! I'll check with him on facebook. Fingers crossed!

15. Took me a while, but i just send him a message. Fingers crossed!

16. NO WAY!
    He did come back to me! What a great guy. The answer? He didn't know it either! I'll copy his answer here:

"Hi Harmen, when I bought that ‘66 Jazz that I play, someone had already put some aftermarket pickups in it and I never found out exactly what they are but I find that my sound"

"Is also largely a reflection of how hard or soft I play. When I really dig in, I get a nice sound"

So cool that he responds. And it's ok that he didn't know it. Keeps it a bit of a mystery.
    Well that conlcudes the search. Thanks for all the help!