1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picked up a (new to me) Schecter the other day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SGS, May 20, 2011.

1. SGS

SGS

Mar 21, 2010
    Saw the Craigslist posting about 5 minutes after it went up and was checking it out a few hours later. The kid was desperate to sell. He had a Hartke head, Hartke 1x15, and the Schecter listed all for $500 and I probably could have offered $450 for all of it and gotten it.

Instead I offered $260 for the Schecter and he took it plus I got some funky hard case that's soft and padded on the outside and zips closed. I had the money for the rest and I'll never see a deal like that again but just playing in my apartment I can't use that type of power. My current combo amp pumps out 125w anyway so if I need power I'm not doing too bad.

Needs a quick setup and I'll get it into the shop next week. I finger pick pretty hard and I have the strings slamming off the fretboard all the time so they need to come up a hair. Plus there's slight dead spots between the 3rd and 5th frets on B and E. I'll let the guy at the local shop get it set up for me, he does a great job on my basses. Also needs new strings, there's some funky random spots on the ones it has. He threw in a set of DR Extra coated strings, they're purple, and I might give them a try.

Has 2 small nicks on the body, nothing major, and 2-3 very faint scratches from a pick on the front. Other than that its in perfect condition. I'm already used to the sound the EMG HZs put out since my Dean has the same pickups, but with the active preamp this thing sounds much much better. Even with the bass and treble set flat it sounds better than my Dean. I can deal with the bats on the fretboard :oops:

Schecter Damien 5

v8Ksg.

The bats on the fretboard :oops:

7spsY.

The gang hanging out (Schecter, Series 10 Strat copy, Squier Jazz, Dean)

XiBEr.

I'm semi-trying to sell the Jazz but might keep it now and string it EADG (currently it's BEAD).

2. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats, that bass looks great!

3. SGS

SGS

Mar 21, 2010
    I like it :)

The neck looked straight to me so I raised the strings until the buzzing in the first few frets on the 3 lowest strings stopped. At that point they were too high. I took it in to the shop today to get set up since I didn't want to mess with the truss rod on this one yet.

The guy at the the shop up here is great. I've now taken all 3 of my basses to him and he's cool to chat with while he does set-up. He took the slight bit of relief it had out of the neck then lowered the strings down to about half of what I had them at. They're a little higher than they were when I brought it home but she plays great now, although I think the strings can come down just a little further. I'll mess with that once the "new string" buzz wears off.

I had Ernie Ball Super Slinkies put on, went for a .050-.130 set, and had strap locks installed. No charge for the setup, just paid $45 for strings and strap locks. Sounds really good now and plays much better :bassist: