1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picking the bass back up

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by onesloryd, Sep 22, 2008.

1. onesloryd

onesloryd

Sep 16, 2008
    Burbank, CA
    I am going to be picking my bass back up after 20 years of not playing. Can I get some advice on any books, dvd’s etc?

Thanks in advance

2. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I tried using instructional DVD's and ended up wasting a lot of money.

I found www.workshoplive.com and have not looked back. Best bass lessons I have found on the net.

3. Try www.bassbooks.com. Excellent selection and service, just about any bass title or direction you could imagine. I have used Ed Friedland's books and think very highly of them... all come with a CD to play along with, highly recommended.

4. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    I would suggest something like:
    1)Bass Guitar for Dummies by Patrick Pfeiffer.
    I've found it quite a user friendly book, and is surprisingly comprehensive.

2) Rock Bass by Jon Leibman
    The book features lots of basslines that you can practice with an included CD. The music isn't just rock - it also includes Motown, Disco, and lots of other genres. It basically goes from the 1950s to the 1990s.
    The good thing about the included CD is that the bass comes out of one speaker and the melody and drums out of the other.

5. kangia

kangia

Aug 10, 2008
    My suggestion: don't lose yourself in theory in the beginning. Books are ok, but most important thing is to train you fingers, develop technique. Little bit of patience and love, and you're jamming!
    Here's the link on some online exercises link

Of course, there's a bunch more, but you can't practice all, right?
    And it's never late for music...

Bass Guitar Place

6. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    I would suggest lifting with your legs and not your back. That process works for picking the amp back up too.

www.instantrimshot.com

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Although my approach is different then most and since you have played before. I would go out buy a Tascam bass trainer some good head phones put in your fav CD or download the MP3s (Newer model) and jam out to your fav tunes. Your hands and fingers will come back pretty quick. To me the ear is the most importent tool in music.

I also took years off and found out when i returned to bass as a former guitar player not only was I better but more focused and payed attention to details such as ear training.

8. Welcome back. I did this about a 1 1/2yr ago after just over 20 years of not playing. I tried a bunch of videos, books, and online stuff but, found taking a few lessons from a teacher has really helped. You'd be amazed at how much stuff comes flooding back to you. The hardest was the muscle memory (not as fast as I was, but getting there).

9. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    YouTube

You'll have to weed through lots of crap though..

10. onesloryd

onesloryd

Sep 16, 2008
    Burbank, CA
    Thanks for all the great suggestions.
    I also need a amp. I still have on bass left (mid 80's Pilot), I am kicking myself for getting rid of my Factor.

Thanks again

11. i would also recommend just finding a teacher who can go over what you know at this point and get you going again, showing you just what you need. it's money well-spent in my opinion.