1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup for rockabilly?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mebusdriver, Jul 31, 2012.

1. I'm new to DB and haven't had time to research pickups. I'm buying my first bass tomorrow and would like to buy a pickup this week as well. Wondering if I can get a quick recommendation on the Top 5 pickups for playing rockabilly style. I'll also be playing jazz, hopefully in the near future, so it would be nice if I could a recommendation that would suit either style. I know I'm not asking for much right? Thanks!

2. Really, any pup can work by eq ing the amp to suit. I play rockabilly and jazz. I have a Barbera system and it's great. More important than the pup are the strings. For slap bass you really want either gut or Innovations at least on the top two strings. Slapping on steels is for real he-men! :p I use guts on the D and G and Velvet Garbos on the E and A. It's a nice balanced setup and the guts are soft for slapping. They also work nicely for jazz.
    Some choices for pups...
    K&K
    Underwood
    Realist
    Full Circle
    Barbera

The only pup I dont like is the old clip-on Fishman. I personally think they're awful.

3. Doug R

Doug R

Jan 27, 2011
    Spokane, WA USA
    I put the K&K Rockabilly pickups on my bass and would recommend them highly. Two pickups (neck & bridge) with a small preamp/mixer. Add neck slap when wanted, mellow-out the tone with just the bridge pup when you just want nice warm bass.
    The little amp is very sophisticated. Inside there are mini-pots for gain, bass, mid and treble for each channel. You can dial-in the sounds you like for each pickup. Then just mix the two pickups as needed with the two volume controls on the front.

4. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    +1 for the k&k rockabilly pick up.

But don't rule out a mic if your band is not too noisy with drummers and electric guitar amps. IMHO, You get a much more natural sound with a mic.