Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup placement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Does anyone know the measurments for standard P/J pickup placement? I'm building a bass and I would like to know how far to set the pickups from the bridge.

2. I measured mine from the front of the bridge plate because my saddle are all over the place. I got 1 and 5/8 inches to the pole pieces on the J, and 4 and 5/8 inches to the treble side pole pieces on the P. Those may not be precisely accurate though, maybe you could average the numbers from all the replies you get.

3. Don't measure from the bridgeplate. Those can be in slightly different places amongst brands, years, and models. The best place to get a measurement is from the 12th fret. This will place the pup exactly the same place as intended by the factory. I have these measurements but they are at work. I'll see if I can remember to bring them home (sometimes harder than solving for pi) and I'll post them.

4. Yeah, I knew it would probably not be accurate to measure from the front edge, but I wasn't sure where else to measure from. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious.

Revised measurements, from the 12th fret: 11 inches to the poles on the bass side of the P, and 15 for the J.

Those should be more useful than the first ones, but maybe you ought to wait for Hambone's numbers anyway.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member