1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup/Preamp replacements for Jaguar Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChordMelody, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Hey there! I have a CIJ Jaguar bass.

I've had it for a long time, but I finally pinpointed that there's just some underlying characteristics with the preamp and pickups that I can't make up for.

I've decided to replace them, and I've come down to the Dimarzio model Js and the Nordstrand NJ4s (But I'm unsure if I should go for the SV or SE Split coils?)

I also am looking at the 2B Nordstrand preamp as a replacement.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe in particular the preamp as I have not as much experience with different preamps and such!

Also, I'm unsure if I'd need the splitcoils and if it will affect the series/parallel wiring options in the Jaguar bass.

2. basspedaler

basspedaler Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2013
    ChordMelody likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply :)!!! I will check it out! Should have seen those sooner!
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    i re-did one of these with dimarzio area J pickups (very close to straight vintage sound) and an EMG BTS preamp.

it was a little tricky to wire it up, but worth it. the pickups themselves sound much better and are of course noiseless, while the preamp has actual boost and cut controls, with a center detent on those thumbwheels.

the other big improvement was had from a set of gotoh res-o-lite keys, because the JAG body is inherently more neck-heavy on a strap.
    ChordMelody likes this.
  5. Hey there! Second time hearing of the EMG BTS preamp now! I'm actually really debating between an Aguilar preamp and that one now! I am still doing more demo listens of different pickups but I like the darker bass heavy sound of the model Js atm!

I really want to get better tuning machinese (lighter ones) but I can't stand drilling new holes in it. I am thinking of a hipshot kickass bridge and hopefully it will be less neck heavy!

Thanks for the tips and suggestion!