1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup size Squier Deluxe V?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Runeej, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    I was looking for a 5 string backup bass and ended up with a Squier Deluxe. Playability is good, I like the wide string spacing, it Looks stunning and sounds great. Acoustically that is. As the stock preamp didn't provide the tone that I like, I ordered an Aguilar OBP3-SK (so I can use the same pots). But I think the PU's need an upgrade too. The B string sounds much softer than the rest and I just think the overall sound will improve. Now which options do I have? I read somewhere that standard Fender V replacement pickups won't fit properly. Could you guys help me out with options?

Thanx!

2. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Ah, my specialty! I've had 4 of these and they are great basses for upgrades.
    Both pickups are 3.7" wide, so you have to find them that size. Also, the 19mm spacing is a concern as well. So yeah, Fender size is a no-go. And from what I've installed, the WORST CASE SCENARIO is you have to file down the corner of the pickup that goes into the bass and they'll just drop right in with no damage to anything.

I used SADOWSKY HC pickups to great effect. They make the bass sound SO good. (There's a used set in the classifieds right now.) Very clear and defined tonality and will bring out the best in it.
    The single coil version works nicely as well, as a direct fit. Either are available from Sadowsky direct.

DIMARZIO ULTRAJAZZ 5 will also work. They actually make (made?) the Sadowsky pickups and are slightly cheaper. But they sound incredibly similar.

If you want to go active only, EMG makes the LJ pickup size.
    NORDSTRAND makes the NJ5 and NJ5S.
    DELANO makes a number of pickups that fit the size. They are pricey, but damn good pickups

Beyond that, there's a world of custom makers that would do whatever size you want... but the cost and wait time make it a little silly, IMO.
    Check out bestbassgear.com, they carry a lot of stuff!

Any questions, feel free to PM me, I've had a lot of fun with this bass over the years.

3. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    I've been looking at the Dimarzio's. People are quite enthousiastic over them and they're not too expensive (even here in Europe). I just think it's a challenge to get this cheap ass bass to sound as good as my Lakland or the Sadowsky UV70 I've owned. Judging from the acoustic sound I could get close.

4. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    SD an option? SJB-5?

5. I read somewhere on here that the pickups they used warren 't wide enough for the string spacing they did which meant the B string never got enough magnet to be equally as loud as the other strings? Mine definitely had that problem... A set of rail magnets would suit you better if this is indeed the case...

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I had a Metro and I'd say the Squier sounded 99% as good with the Sadowsky pickups and Ag preamp. Not the same feel and construction, granted, but the tone improved exponentially.

The width on the SJB-5 bridge is 3.74... that may require a little bit of routing. Then again, you could measure the cavity and see if it's closer to that dimension.
    Dimarzio lists the UJ at 3.735".

7. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    Hmm. If the string spacing and pu-size is the same as f.e. the Sadowsky's and the poles are under the string, new pu's should solve the issue. Or am I overlooking something here? Is the soft B string a known issue?

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Here's how they line up...

100_1470.

Definitely catches the B!

9. Wow that looks cool! Lots of knobs on that bass!

10. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    Those are the Sadowsky's?

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yes, the Sadowskys and the OBP3 wired with VVT and with active passive, series/parallel and mid shift on the push/pull pots. It was a tonal monster.

12. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    What's VVT?

13. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Volume volume tone controls, ala regular Jazz basses.

14. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
  15. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    Hi,

Got the Sadowsky's. How can I tell which one is bridge and neck? The one with the longer wires is for the neck?

And now for some handsome Sadowsky style pickup. Gues I'll have to order in NY.... $70 exl. Customs/taxes is pretty steep. Hmmm.

16. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    One should have the pole spacing slightly wider than the other.

17. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    That's it, thanks.

18. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Please let us know how it changes with the new pickups!

19. Runeej

Runeej

Nov 3, 2013
    Sure. But first I'got to get it right. Having trouble with my blend pot. It acts as a volume pot: one side does nothing and turning it to the other side makes it loud over both pickups (but the sound is very promising). Back to the drawing board...

20. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    [​IMG]