1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup swap that made the biggest difference in your tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    Pulled the EMGs out of a Fodera Monarch before i got rid of it....

....I would have missed those pickups

faulknersj likes this.
  2. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    I’m stuck with the stock pups in my bass, because anytime you swap out Alembic electronics, a kitten dies. :)

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Stock Squier P pups to EMG PAX's.

faulknersj likes this.
  4. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Pull out active EMG's and all circuitry pertaining to them, then return to original stock early 80's Ibanez super P4. Voila!

faulknersj likes this.
  5. KevinOn10

KevinOn10

Nov 26, 2018
    Levittwon, PA
    I work for Sam Ash Music
    I took the stock pups out of my LTD B4E and put in a Seymour Duncan SSB set. MUCH BETTER TONE

faulknersj and Zoobiedood like this.
  6. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Putting Novaks in my Gibson Midtown was a game-changer.

faulknersj likes this.
  7. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Biggest difference?

I’ve had a 1967 Fender Coronado II since I was a kid, and I started playing in clubs at age 17.
    I’ve played many, many gigs with it over the years. In the late 80’s the bridge pup went out,
    so some music store sent the pup to me rewound somewhere in California.

Well it sounded awful because it was way too hot. In 2009 I sent the complete wiring harness to Lindy Fralin
    and was advised to only fix the bridge. The difference was night/day and now my CII sings again.
    Since I sent both I should have had both redone in hindsight, but the neck still sounds good as always anyway.

The neck pup is over 50 years old while the bridge is a mere baby at 9.

CoronadoII-3.

8. I installed one of these in a 4003. Really makes a Ric come alive. I think it makes the overall sound a bit brighter, but it's well worth it. I like this pickup so much that after selling the one I originally bought, I had to get another. I thought I wanted to go back to the stock Ric pickup. I was wrong.

faulknersj likes this.
  9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Biggest difference has been between ceramic blade pickups (also those with an internal preamp, low impedance.. like EMG) to an Alnico 5 platform. Tons of pickup choices and manufacturers that span those two different designs.

faulknersj likes this.
  10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Not a bass, but ungluing the ceramic bars on the back of a set of cheap Strat pickups and replacing the pole pieces with alnico ones. All my basses already have alnico slugs in the pickups.

faulknersj likes this.
  11. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    SAME TO BOTH!!!!!

1bassplayinfool and faulknersj like this.
  12. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I replaced a non-functioning Squier P pickup in a Squier with a GFS P pickup. Made it infinity percent louder and clearer!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    faulknersj likes this.
  13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    A pair of DiMarzio Model Ones to a pair of TV Jones Thunder’Blades.

Huge difference, not surprisingly.

faulknersj likes this.
  14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    The best pickup I ever installed was a Lace TransSensor J neck that I installed in a Hoppus body parts bass.
    Bought it for $5 on Ebay. Very hard to find. I guess they were the precursor to the Alumitones.

faulknersj likes this.
  15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    ‘51 RI MIJ swapped out OEM pu for Rio Grande Muy Grande. Sounds original with more highs & lows.

Roscoe: love Keith’s spec’d Barts but while searching out a minor malady we swapped for Classic Barts. Wow just wow. I’m not recommending this Carte Blanche but with this particular wood combination and AG pre they are open and fresh. Again only on this one in my experience.

faulknersj likes this.
  16. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Anything stock to Duncans - on bass. Guitar i prefer Dimarzios - should try Duncans, but i never found a tone i liked with em in a guitar.

But I just swap pickups here & there until i hear the tone i've got in my head - usually twice is the most i need to swap until i get there.

faulknersj likes this.
  17. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Stock Washburn Taurus switched to DiMarzio Model J. Went from pretty neutral to total donut midsection girthiness.

Ironically, it was part of my set of mods to make the bass more versatile...so it became a bass with huge jazz tone that could also be a bass with EVEN MORE HUGE JAZZ TONE

faulknersj likes this.
  18. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Fender humbucker to Lace Alumitone. Totally different. Plus a weight savings!

faulknersj likes this.
  19. Bigpig

Bigpig Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Squier stock for Bartolinis - warm, meaty tone and goodbye buzz - lovely!

faulknersj and wraub like this.
  20. C1123992-C33F-4EE8-B4F1-DD49D7D71D6C. Alembic P in place of stock MIA P