Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pino Palladino

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Jun 14, 2004.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    So I was watching the Isle of Wight Music festival coverage on Channel 4 last night when The Who come on and play My Genaeration. At this stage I am real interested on what happens with the solo. Don't you know Pino belts it out note for note with a tone I almost cried over on his Bongo bass. Did anyone else see it? The bongo sounded so nice I'm really considering one now!

2. yeah he had an amazin bass, sounded awesome on all of the tracks, i wud consider buying one now. on the solo he didn't follow the original note for note but he did follow the rhytm quite closely so i know wat u mean.

3. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I saw him with the Who on the last tour and also recently with Simon and Garfunkel. He's more in his element with S&G doing that fretless kind of stuff. But still great with the Who. What makes the current Who lineup though is Simon Towshend's singing. They had missed the big vocal sound since John lost his voice. Also Simon helps Roger cheat on the more demanding stuff. Watch Simon on the "Wont Get Fooled Again" scream.

4. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I want a Bongo now really bad

5. I've asked this question a thousand times, and no one seems to have a definitive answer. Did John actually "lose" his voice? I know he stopped doing harmonies years ago, and he basically duetted with Roger on the one song he did sing ("My Wife," although, to be fair, Roger always had a tendancy to sing along with John live). On the other hand, he was able to do some dubs for the reissued Live At Leeds on "Heaven and Hell" and one or two others. So was his voice actually gone, or did he get lazy?

The Who's harmonies have long been one of their most overlooked strengths. It will be nice to have them back live.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Damn saw this thread just after I posted something similar.

The moment I saw that bongo I couldn't believe it, I mean I'm quite a fan of the bongo but for pino to be chosing that over his moon jazz they really must be great basses.

I'll add to the comments I want a bongo.

Any one got any pics of this gig.

7. Wow! Pino plays with The Who?!? Cool! :hyper:

Who the heck is Simon Townshend? :confused:

I thought John Entwistle sang more than one song? :confused:

8. Simon is Pete's brother. He toured with them in 1996 (singing "Dirty Jobs") and (I think) 2002. He relased a solo album in 1985, and had a minor hit with "I'm The Answer." In 1987 or so he released another album. He contributed "Flame" to brother Pete's Psychoderelict album, and he produced the two new Who songs, "Real Good Looking Boy" and "Old Red Wine"

Entwistle sang quite a few songs. But he generally did only one live. In his last years, "My Wife" was the song of choice. On the 1989 tour he did "Trick Of The Light" and (I believe) "Boris The Spider." In 1982 he did either "Boris" or "Wife," and did the "Twist And Shout" encore.

9. Thanks Steve! :)

10. I saw Pino live a year or two ago when The Who came to Colorado. It was an awesome show and Pino definately lived up to John Entwhistles legacy. Plus Ringo Starr's son was on the drums, he was rockin :bassist: .

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I saw Pino with the Who on their second show without Ox. He was really good. The band as a whole seemed to be playing like a band possessed (mad?).

12. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    From what i heard John lost his voice. THe high notes werent there anymore and Daltry had to sing along all the way through My Wife. I reallly missed his backgrounds in the mix on the last full tour he did with the Who. Vocals are a big part of the Who. Simon brings that back.
    John still had it for Leeds but of course that was a long time ago.
    Listen to Summertime Blues. In a way John is singing the lead. Just screaming there on top of Roger. And they were doing Quick One and Tommy then. Two operas!
    As fas as his overdubbing on that, his mike was not on for Heaven and Hell, for at least part of it and he came in and did it over.
    To me Heaven and Hell was an awesome song and a much better choice for him live. THat is, if he wasn't doing "Whiskey Man."

13. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I'm so late on this post !! John was suffering on those high notes and pretty much chose not to sing much. He did sing alot more with his own band but had help from Godfrey and Steve most of the time.

I've not yet seen The 'oo with Pino and would love to since I'm a huge Who fan and fan of Pino's. He's an amazing player (listening to Sunset Grille as I type this). I dig the Bongo yet will probably never have one being a lefty and all. Lame.

I got a chance to help with John's site at one time outlining some of his gear though it's now a bit outdated since he changed just before he passed away.

http://www.johnentwistle.com/Gear/gear.html

Miss John a ton but Pino is a monster !!!! So are Zak and Simon !! What a great band !!

14. I caught that one on TV although I had no idea it was Pino having never seen pics of him. When I heard My Generation and 'that'(those?) bass solos my jaw dropped to the ground. Was it just me or did he miss every one of them? maybe he was badly positioned with the monitors but something was very wrong...

or am I dumb?