Pino's first ever album as a artist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by corinpills, Apr 27, 2021.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm quite surprised this hasn't been a topic of much discussion, but I have been absolutely loving the album "Notes With Attachments" by Pino Palladino and Blake Mills. Notably, it's the first album Pino has ever released under his own name.

Blake Mills is pretty successful young producer, session giutarist and singer/ songwriter (Fiona Apple, The Killers, John Legend, Pheobe Bridgers) whose writing I quite enjoy. He is running Sound City studios along with a fellow named Tony Berg (who produced Michael Penn's early records and has worked with Aimee Mann, Pheobe Bridgers, Bruce Hornsby, etc).

Anyway, point is, this is very much a departure from Blake Mills' usual songwriter material and is much more experimental (and instrumental). It's not a thing where Pino shows off his chops at all, so know that going in. It's got these really cool woodwind clusters throughout and some interesting guitar synth stuff. Pino plays fretless throughout, but it doesn't sound anything like his well- known 80s fretless sound. It's very angular, experimental music, but I have been finding it very compelling on repeated listens.

Here's a clip:

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Wouldn’t the PSP album be considered under his own name? He’s the “P”

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    We talked about it in another Pino thread, great stuff!

corinpills and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    A little too experimental for me. It's nothing I would just sit and listen to. Might be cool live though.

But I do dig me some Pino.

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    To me anyway, the album represents what a lot of us did with the covid gig cancellations, do some music without much commercial consideration.;)

Joshua and bass12 like this.
  6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I like this. :thumbsup:

All music ought to be made for the love of music it self and nothing else, instead of the mockery of the most advanced form of communication we humans are capable of that is the Billboard Top 40 and similar.

The only kind of music I listen to at least.

The track that starts around the 3:18 time mark reminds me of Tortoise, but with horns (set just before it starts):

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Bob_Ross likes this.
  7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm usually very much a song- oriented guy, although I do listen a lot of ambient music at night when I'm in bed- Harold Budd, Max Richter, Daniel Lanois' dreamy pedal steel stuff- so I'm a little surprised by how much I have been enjoying this album. Pino's playing is so sensitive and nuanced (and his tone, fuggedabout it), but the thing that really stands out is the weird little woodwind voicings throughout. I think it's just layered saxes, but in very odd intervals and rhythmic bursts.

jerry likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021