Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plano Texas Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rav, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Anyone live in or around the plano/dallas area just starting to play bass ? I'm looking for someone of similar skill level to myself to practice/study with. Its always been my experience that two heads are better than one and a study partner in anything provides motivation if nothing else.

I've been playing 4 weeks so someone with 0-3 months of experience should be pretty close. Of course if you live in the area and are a monster player I wont turn down picking your brain asking questions and paying for beer if your interested in helping out.

On a side note if you know of any local live music hookups that are good I'm interested in getting out and hearing other people play in the area as well. I've tried to venture out and find some local players but so far all I've seen are hack artists with bad midi generated bass and drum lines and no talent other than the ability to convince a bar owner they add ambiance.

-Rav

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm always throwin' down bro...you're welcome to hang out. Got a space over on the East side.

3. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Thanks to razor for letting me sit in and watch him play today.

As humble as he is when you talk to him he is completely awesome on bass.

I definitely felt in over my head.

Thanks razor it was an eye opening experience for certain. I hope my fumbling note selection and constant fret buzz wasn't too annoying :)

-Rav

4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    if you are looking for an instructor, i HIGHLY recommend Phil Mcneese. he is awesome, and his prices are reasonable.

when i lived there 2 years ago, he was teaching at nadines, in plano, and sometimes did sales work at larry morgan music.

let me know if you cant find him, and i will see if i can help.

pierce

5. Phil does still work at Larry Morgan's. Their Phone # is 972-864-8584

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Thanks for the kind words Tom. It was a pleasure to meet you. You're definately on the right track with how you have started (playing lots of scales and all). Start slowly with everything you do. I am sure you will find lots of information here at TB. Just have a huge toolbox and grab everything you can...toss what you don't like and the rest goes in the box.
    Any time you wanna jam just lemme know... :D

7. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Slightly off topic but ...

Anyone playing a gig in the dallas area this weekend? I'm looking for a live music event to go to.

-Rav