1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played The New(?) Fender Fretless @ GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Not sure how "'new' it is, but it is to me.

GC had one a few weeks ago on the floor stand and I forgot to try it out.

Well - today during a trip there for a few different reasons - I found one hanging and pulled it down and plugged it into the B-450 Acoustic combo, just like I have, for a trial spin.

I was impressed with it - a little odd to not feel frets where they should be and I thought the strings were a little whiz-zy, but overall (and except for the weight) it was impressive.

It made all the right sounds after I figgered the knobs and settings - I must say there was more tone/modeling/intonation in that Fender than I've seen in any other Fender for sounds and tones before - but again I am not a Fender expert.

This bass had four knobs though - so maybe it wasn't anything special - I don't know Fenders all that well - but I generally like it a lot.

I'm still out for advisement and consideration on things Fender - having a pair of Ps (MIJ & MIA) that I don't really like much, but I know that in a bar fight they'd be my weapon of choice. This was to me, my idea of a pretty good buy.

I THINK it was offered at $349.99, but the online ad says more - LOTS more! Very sure it was not a USED price too!

The fret board (can you call it a 'fret board' if there aren't any frets? It only has cheater lines) was a little too wide for my playing comfort, but that could be relearned I guess. However I find it was a lot narrower at the top than my older Ps - so maybe it's an improvement I could live with.

Oh - and it's heavy - but I said that already. I just don't want anyone to forget that it's heavy. .

For the first time in my life I am quite impressed with a Fender. Did I say that? :meh:

{edit} I forgot to say that there was a big knot on the back of the neck too. It is very likely not a structural problem, but it is sure an aesthetic eyesore. Maybe that's why it's so cheap.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Nice report. I think.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    It would be more a fingerboard than a fretboard on a fretless, but we get the idea.

Can you tell us the model name? What bass was it?

4. Totally dumbfounded - I can't find it on the GC listings. There's nothing like it at all with the four chrome knobs either until you hit a sig-model! :eyebrow:

I for sure know it was a Fender Jazz fretless and was all-over black. Damn! I thought I'd remember the model but maybe because I'm not big into Fenders I messed up.

It absolutely is a Fender, four-knobs but not in a straight line, rather in staggered pairs like the Victor Bailey Jazz - but for sure a J-model without any frets and it had four strings. There were multiple pups. It was also $349.99. Maybe I shoulda bought it just as a conversation piece.

I was lead to believe that it was a mid-entry level guitar by the bass pro there. The guy who adjusts all the guitars was also standing there wearing a shop apron as I played it for a while and he was just smiling. :D

The one thing that hit me was that it was made in Japan. Still, that knot on the back of the neck was strange I thought; pretty in a kinda unique way.

Was it some sortta ringer? They weren't pushing it on the front line since it was hung up on the Fender wall next to a baby blue 4-stringer.

5. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    wheres it at ill go buy it

6. Try GC in Murrietta, California.

I checked their store site and they don't even have it listed though.

I wonder what it was that I saw and played in my hands?

Fender
    Fretless
    Four big chrome knobs, staggered, not in a line
    White cheater lines
    Black
    Thin neck near the top nut
    Heavy though
    Cheap - mid-entry level price
    Very playable
    They don't open for another half-hour or so (Cal. time now 09:23)

Take Hwy15 to the Kalmia exit, West and it's behind BevMo.

7. I am guessing a mexican standard fretless fender with a pre-amp.

8. Much better than my suggestion.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    So, it is 2010 and every sinlge mobile phone comes with an integrated camera! you couldve have taken a pic of it!

10. Mobile phone?

Integrated cameras?

What will they think of next?. :rollno:

PS: I refuse to own a cell phone - you may not have noticed in my personal info that I am RETIRED.

Cells are a leash that allows people to find you. I most times do not want to be found.

Funny you mention cameras though - I had a few guys with digital cameras taking pixs of it - even as I played it.

Maybe this is something obscure and just at that store. :ninja: I'd like to know what it was that I was playing too.

11. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I looked on the back and didn't notice a back door for a battery location - but, hey - maybe Fender puts it under the pickguard - which at this time I do not remember it having either. I don't even think it HAD a pickguard.

If I had thought about it, I couldda brought a sketch pad and some crayons and made a drawing of it. My bad.

12. Aerodyne?

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Maybe a used one of these someone pulled the frets on?

57231_l.

14. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
  15. That doesn't ring any bells. I have a photographic memory - however I haven't gotten the pictures back yet from the drugstore.

Top.

16. Nah - it was much prettier than that.

17. I looked at that one too online and although it's close - that ain't it. The price is still a lot higher than what I saw.

I do not believe it was used either - it still had the Fender tag-candy all over it and no signs of mods or even fingerprints or buckle rash.

18. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It's a American Deluxe Fretless. 3band active, stacked bass/treble. The battery on mine is under the control plate.

19. hmmmm
    has pickups like this but has 4 knobs?

fen03aerodyne-jazz.