1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing Again After a 30 Year Hiatus

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Alpedhuez55, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Alpedhuez55

Alpedhuez55

Dec 9, 2017
    Taylors SC
    Hi, my name is Mike. I am originally from the Boston area but now live in Greenville, SC. Back in the 80s, I used to play Bass. I gigged a few times in different punk and metal bands mostly as a fill in. I had a couple of Washburns back in the day. I took a few of lessons but was pretty much self taught.

Well, now I am 51 and looking to start again. I probably went a little overboard, but I got two basses, a Scheckter Stilletto Elite 4 and an Ibanez SRX400. Both were good deals and kind of spoke to me. I just grabbed a small Ibanez Prometian 20 Watt to play them through.

A couple of observations, the the new entry level stuff is much better and cheaper than it was in the 80s. I went the used route and got a little more bang for the buck with the basses, but would have had no issues with a $200 Ibanez or, squier Toby Standard. And you can get some nice gigworthy powerful amps for a lot less money. And they are so much lighter too!!

As for playing... It is not like riding a bike for me. I used to mostly play along to stuff and learn songs. I should have paid more attention to things like scales or technique. I am trying to learn a better way know. And from a physical standpoint, my fingers are killing me!!! I need to build up some strength again.

Hopefully I will develop better habits this time around!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. Good luck. The get started sticky in the General Instruction section would be time well spent. There is some good information in that thread.

I do best with books and recommend the book Bass Guitar for Dummies. It is a great get started instruction book. Most of what I now do came from Dummies.

Again, good luck and welcome.

3. Welcome back. We saved your spot.

4. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Your reading my mail. I'm in exactly the same position your in but I am sixtyeight and retired. I played professionally from the early sixties to the mid seventies. I'm back to woodsheding and relearning scales and the new (to me) slap n pluck methods. I'll be happy to share my journey with PM's if you have any interest. It's incredible what's available on the internet with training aids.

Guy

5. Alpedhuez55

Alpedhuez55

Dec 9, 2017
    Taylors SC
    I was OK at playing along with metal and puck stuff. But there is a difference between learning a songs and a scales and notes. But when I was 15 I wanted to play along to my Black Flag and Ramones' records and got pretty good. Later I learned a lot of Iron Maiden using Tabs from a music book. When I tried lessons, it seemed like after a month of lessons I may be able to play 'Mary Had a Little Lamb'. I quit after 3.

There certainly is a lot of info on the net and a lot of it is great. I think I may try StudyBass.com. It looks great. But I just need to try to keep focused on doing it right, sticking to the lesson plans, even if parts are boring to me. I know on thing I want to do is start saying the note I am playing aloud as I play, at least for a while. I just want to know what I am playing as opposed to just playing it.

Some of it was pretty bad. I am a big Billy Sheehan back since his Talas days. I found the Billy Sheehan Beginner Bass Course. This video must be responsible for thousands of people converting they newly bought bass into Firewood. He would show you a scale once, the proceed playing it at about 8-10 times faster than any beginner could reasonably follow. And add the effects loop that makes the notes sound more like chords. As someone who had played a little, I found it kind of funny in a Brain Surgery for Dummies kind of way. But if 30 years ago I bought the VHS and a Yamaha Bass like the one my hero played, I probably would have set my DLR Solo Albums on fire(though maybe Skyscraper deserves to be set on fire anyway).