1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing FireFly in a few weeks, need some advice

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Rygel45, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Rygel45

Rygel45

Dec 28, 2002
    Like the title says, playing the firefly festival, and its my first gig at a festival of this size... Doing it on a budget, and my plan is bringing a 110w bass amp with a 12" speaker as a stage monitor, running everything else through the house, through a sansamp DI... This has worked for me at 2,000+seat theatres just fine, and I am wondering what, if anything, sounds crazy about that to all you guys on here. Thanks.

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Seems like a pretty small amp unless you do not move at all or they have great monitors.(which they should) I've used that DI and it will sound great FOH. No backline?

3. try taking a dual cab system. single 15, quad 10 or 8, with a 400w head....not only would it look cool you can turn way the hell up if you need it :woot::bored:

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That rig will absolutely not be enough. I wouldn't go into a festival gig with less that 300 watts and an efficient 2x12 or 4x10. You should look into renting a bigger rig for the day.

5. I'd rather sound good then look cool..........................

6. who says you won't sound good...????

although it kinda sounds like i were joking..and i kinda were, i kinda also was serious...but at least a 4x10 with a 400w head...

7. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    If it's enough for the theatres it's probably enough for the festival, only wild card might be you're outdoors (I presume) so the sound reinforcement of the stage or any walls might vary from what you're used to but there usually aren't nearby walls on big theatre stages either.

I've done very large theatres and massive festivals with a 1x12 300w combo. Probably wasn't using more than 100w of it. It's all about the PA, monitors and side-fills. Your amp is really just a personal monitor in these situations. Some of those gigs you can do with no amp at all, really.

Have fun!

Rygel45 likes this.
  8. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    I find that at outdoor gigs I always wish I had a "Little More".

9. Do they not have a backline? I've never been to a festival that didn't have a backline SVT stack sitting on every stage.

10. Hi.

It'll be enough as a monitor for YOU and only YOU if the manure hits the propeller and the monitor guy is struck down by a lightning strike.
    Or otherwise "engaged" if You know what I mean ;).
    In any case, all Your fellow band members will be at the mercy of the monitors.
    If they're fine with that, then all is cool.
    If not...

Unless You're the headliner (and sometimes even then), festival gigs tend to be very hectic, very little time to change the gear, nerve-wrecking for the unprepared and a disaster if someone has pissed off the sound crew.

The simpler and easier to move Your rig is, the better.
    Something on a cart or a dolly, with only one power cord and the DI to plug in that can be rolled on and off the stage quickly, will go a long way towards a successful gig.
    And the invitation to come back again next year :).

Some engineers will insist on their DI, some insist on mic'ing, some do both, almost everyone will use whatever You want to use if they have ample time to make the needed changes (the sound-check is way too late BTW).

You probably have recieved the festivals instruction package with the contact information where to send the stage chart, what's the monitor, backline and sound crew compliment with the necessary details on the other logistics involved, what does it say?

Regards
    Sam

11. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Awesome dude!! Coming to my neck of the woods. I hear that festival be crazy. Have a good time.
    I'd agree with two points. One is like more for an open outdoor stage. Second, whatever it is, make it easy to load and unload. The PA for the audience should be good.