Playing With a Cut Finger

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vicar Philip, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    DAMN I could just kick myself. I took in a big load of aluminum cans to our local recycling center. As I was tossing the LAST BAG onto the pile, one of the cans got caught on my left middle finger and made a nice, deep gash in the fingertip. SON OF A BIATCH! I have to play classical guitar for a wedding this weekend, I know that's gonna hurt. Next weekend is a regular band gig, I haven't tried playing my P yet. Too scared too.

I bought some of that clear stuff that acts like a band-aid, but it still stings like a mother when I play. Guess I'll have to get good and stinking drunk so it won't hurt as bad. Any other suggestions for playing with a cut finger? Oh... please don't call me a dumbass, I've called myself that a million times since I did it. :crying:
  2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
  3. mole skin mabey it would be take some getting used to but its worth a shot.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I had a similar situation many years ago. I had a big New Year's Eve gig and about four days before, I got a splinter deep in my right index finger. It got badly infected and I had to go to the doctor to have the splinter removed. My finger swelled up to the size of a bratwurst, so I had to use my middle and ring finger on the big gig. If I played a single note with my index finger, I would almost pass out from the pain. It turned out great, however. I had never considered the possibility of integrating my ring finger in my playing, and I now use a three-finger technique frequently.
    I carry a little bottle of Crazy Glue in my gig bag. I have used it to close cuts in my fingers; it stings, but works.
  5. I second the super glue. Yeah it can hurt like a biznatch, but maybe some mild painkillers will help. Alcohol can do that, but in my opinion it just screws with your ability waaaaaay too much for it to be worth it. :rolleyes:

Having it be directly on the fingertip is the worst. Just dont let it get infected; if you keep it covered until then, and at least get it to the point where its staying shut. Then just pray the super glue holds... good luck. :bassist:
  6. I agree...SUPER GLUE works like a champ!

Just remember to clean your finger THOROUGHLY before applying. We don't want any infections now, do we? And fortunately, fingertips heal rather quickly.
  7. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No doubt, SUPER GLUE!!! (not the gel one, the liquid). Just use it when you need the finger. When it's resting, take the glue off. It'll help cure faster.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Don't forget about lidocaine. The strongest stuff I know of is called "Americaine" - it's 20% lidocaine in a clearish salve. You can push and rub it right into the cut if it's still open, and it can very much reduce or completely illiminate the pain for something like 20-30min per application.

They make two different tubes. They're actually exactly the same thing; it's just that one package is labeled as being for hemorrhoids, so you might find it in either of two shelves at the Walgreen's or whatever.

9. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Cool, dual purpose! I do have the occasional flare-up of 'roids.... :D
  10. Somekindahate

Aug 12, 2004
    I gave myself a good looking cut the other day truing a rim(me being the little biker kid) i just let it grow a slight scab, and toughed it out. Im good with those little pains.

Think shoe-goo will work? It dries pretty quick, gives a good smooth cover, and is easer to clean up. The thing with CA(Cyanoacrylate) glue is good too, Its like superglue on steriods, you can find it at most hobby shops. Team Associated makes some good stuff.
  11. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    You mentioned the liquid band-aid stuff; I've always kept a container of "Nu-Skin" in my gig bag. It's the original stuff that Band-aid copped, and I think it works better. I got a nasty slice on my finger the same day as a gig once, and though it hurt like a mother, using the nu-skin took the edge off - and protected the injury enough to make it through the show.

Should be able to get it at your local drugstore chain; it smells like clove oil (which I rather like - here, smell my finger!) and three or four lightly applied thin coats are better than one thick one.
  12. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Another vote for Nu Skin. I put a nasty slice across my left middle finger a few years ago - right across the bullseye of my fingerprint - the day of an important gig. That stuff saved my a$$. It was a little awkward and felt wierd, but I made it through the night.

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Close to the same thing for me! The day of a benefit-gig I was working on an old VW Beetle and took a big piece of skin off of my right index finger. I learned how to get by with my ring and middle fingers that night, and it also helped me to start using a 3-finger technique. I also prefer Krazy Glue over Nu-Skin liquid bandage.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Crazy glue is the best for that. It also makes like a armor plate on the cut area so it hurts a heck of a lot less and you can put some pressure on it.
  15. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga

Here is what I do. First, I'll go to bed with the cut uncovered so that when I wake up, its kind of dry and a little tough (especially when its one of those annoying open cuts)..Then, I put some of the thick superglue on a couple of hours before the gig...I keep some handy during because sometimes it will flake off.

For me, keeping the cut out in the air the night before, helps with the tenderness/pain factor a little.

I make sure to peel the glue off when I'm done and let nature heal it up..
    lando_zeus likes this.
  16. lando_zeus

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks for the detailed write-up it's exactly what I needed!

17. jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Another vote here for the Crazy Glue. I sliced my fretting index finger right across the pad just a few hours before one of my biggest gigs of the year (St Pattys Day). I ran water as hot as I could stand across the cut to kill infection, then dried it thoroughly, put a big bead of Crazy Glue right over it and wrapped it up with a Band Aid. I actually played the first set with the Band Aid on, then came 2nd set opener (Spirit of Radio) and mid song the band aid started coming off. Finally I just had to flick it off and was praying the Crazy Glue would hold the rest of the set cause I was using steel rounds and wasn't sure how fast they'd grind it down. Turns out that gig had a couple of major problems but thanks to the Crazy Glue my finger wasn't one of them. Since then a tube of it rides in my bass case, always.
  18. Crazy glue. Glue that sucker shut.
    gebass6 likes this.