Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me find a 6 string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clanner, May 4, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    can anyone recommend a good budget priced 6-string bass fretted or fretless?
    I was looking for one to add to my stable as my 4 or fifth after I order my mucsicman. and to play progressive metal jazz and streight rock with.
    I saw one at a local store, and can't remember the name and they just sold it. it also come in a 4 and 5 string model, I think it was somewhere aroung 50-700, not sure tho. natural finish if any. please help :help:

2. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thank you, but I do not believe that was the one I had played.
    do you know if they sound any good? :eyebrow:

3. No I don't personally, I'm sure someone else on here does though.

I was thinking of trying one out myself.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Budget 6's eh? *cracks knuckles*

1) Peavey Fury 6- Terrific bass. Looks, feels, and sounds like a more expensive bass. 2.05" wide at nut, 3.25" wide at heel and the neck is thin and fast

2) Ibanez SR506- Another nice bass. The neck is the right thickness for me, but a tad wide for my tastes. 2.125" at nut and 3.25" at heel.

3) Samick Fairlane 6- I like this bass because it has the narrowest 6-string neck I can find. 2.00" at the nut, 3.1" at the heel. However, most people would think that neck is too narrow.

Ones that I've not played but would've liked to try

1) ESP/LTD B206- the newer ones come with EMG pickups now.

2) Spector Legend 6- it's Spector. 'nuff said.

5. I would hit that Brice at Rondo first. My second choice would be the Dean basses. Those are pretty high quality for the coin, and way less than $500 street price. They actually have a pretty good sound and the QC on the Korean made Dean is pretty damn good.

6. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I can vouch for the Brice Z Bass Neckthru. Great quality for the price, solid workmanship, nice tone. Needs setup when you first get it though, and the nutwork wasn't fantastic, but other than that I'm very happy with mine. Wide string spacing, 19mm, same as a Fender Jazz 4 string, which makes the neck a bit wider than most 6 strings, 2.25 inches at the nut, but it's not terribly uncomfortable for me, and I'm a fairly small guy.

7. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thank you guys, I will definatley try these brands.

does anyone know if yamaha makes a budget six string? I just bought an old bb200f fretless and I live the way it sounds, so I was wandering if they made a six other than the $1000+ ones.

and how about a cort? any ideas?

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

See what you can do on a used Peavy Cirrus 6, if i was going to jump to 6 this would be at the top of my list of choices.

10. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    Iit wasn't an Ibanez, because I own a five string and would have remembered it, and I don't really like the peavey tone as much as fender,musicman, ibanez, and yamaha.

I think the companies name started with an S, I know it's not sadowsky because I checked there sight. I know that there are 4 and 5 string versions of this basses that look exactly the same as the 6 string one with narrower necks.

thanks for all of your help

edit: I just saw a tobias bass that lokked siilar to the bass but not the same . it was only available in six. not 4 5 or 6

11. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I don't think it was a samick,

but that looks great, and looks like it would play well, if I can't figure out the company I atleast have a ton of basses to try. :bassist: :bassist:

12. Schecter. I think thats the one youre talking about. They make a great bass. I want one, i tried it out, and it should really cost more than about $600 because its really nice.

13. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    The 506 is a great bass. Should've posted this 2 weeks ago when my 506 was on sale. I sold on ebay for 450. Its an amazing bass, it just wasn't my thing.

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    That's the Fairlane I have in my arsenal, yup yup. Great bass. Neck's narrower than the average 6-string (as I said before) but perfect for me; has dual truss rods too. I bought mine used for $300, had a Carvin battery box installed, had a professional setup done, and she plays great (almost as nice as my 'wick) and didn't break the bank.

And clanner- no, Yamaha doesn't make a sixer in the $600- $700 price range. The TRB1006 is a tad beyond that.

And what is this "Peavey tone" that you don't like? The Fury has active electronics (VFL humbuckers) and a 3 band EQ so you can dial in a wide variety of tones from bootified reggae dub to clean cutting high-mid/trebly rock. Very versatile bass.

15. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thank you so much groveofbass, that is it, the stilleto studio 6. thnx my local store has the stilleto studio 4 and 5. both mloderatley priced, and the 6 will be under 1000 once they get another in. thank you so much every one.

what do i do when the sound from my bass no longer makes me happy? i'm using strngs i don't like, so that may be it. i'll try that first

16. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thank you so much groveofbass, that is it, the stilleto studio 6. thnx my local store has the stilleto studio 4 and 5. both mloderatley priced, and the 6 will be under 1000 once they get another in. thank you so much every one. the tone I don't really like is the one my friends bass has, (not sure which one) it's way to trebly for me, but it's probly the strings.

what do i do when the sound from my bass no longer makes me happy? i'm using strngs i don't like, so that may be it. i'll try that first

edit: last thing, I've been considering buying an Ibanez SR 905 from my favorite music store and falling of the savings wagon for my bongo (for the moment) could anyone give me a ballpark price estimate? like 600-750 sorta thing,

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Unfortunately they are no great heck. A Spector Legend can run you almost half of that and it is a WHOLE lot more bass. IMHO a Legend would be your best bet, they are comfy, have GREAT tone, the finishes are a little weak, but nice, hardware is good, not too heavy, (a little bit of neck dive which can easily be resolved, did I mention great tone?

18. I'm also considering that bass, I think it's around 700... euro's that is.