Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Suggest Luthier's Book

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mattzink, Aug 26, 2005.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Hello all!
    Can anyone suggest a good starting point luthier's book for building an electric bass guitar?

2. i've only read one and that is "Melvyn Hiscock - Make your own electric Guitar"
    it's pretty detailed.. i do not know what to tell you, but it will sure answer a lot of your questions.

3. Martin Koch's build your guitar is also very good. Has a lot of tips on how to do things with minimal setups and also lots of useful jigs. I say get both.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    The above mentioned are great. Another that's pretty good, expecially for pics, is Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass by Raymond and Waring.

5. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    thanks a ton fellas - i'll check into all of them!

6. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Check your local library also, mine had two of these books you may be able to read them before deciding on a purchase. I like the Hiscock book best with koch's book next but the pictures in it are of low quality. I have read all three and each has some thing to offer! Tim