1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plugging Amp heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by João Bourgard, Aug 9, 2012.

1. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Evening folks,
    I got an old home made amp head witch i kinda like.. my question is can i plug it directly to a combo head to get a sort of pre amp?
    or is it a bad ideia?

If so, what precautions should i take?

Thanks in advance..
    cheers...

2. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    I'm sorry for the possible dumb question but i suck at electronics and i dont wanna mess anything up

3. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    bump...

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If what you have is an amplifier, (preamp/poweramp in one unit), then no, you cannot use it as sort of a preamp. If it has a preamp OUT jack, you could use that, but I doubt it does. You risk blowing up your other amp. It would help if you were more specific about exactly what gear you're talking about though.

5. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    I dont really know what i got here since its a home made amp that was not built by me... so.. just Pm'ed you with some details

6. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    no more inputs? come on ppl.. this can't be so hard... Im asking because i don't anything about this...

7. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Have you considered connecting it to some speakers to see if it works by itself? Or perhaps a picture of it or some info on where you got it would be more useful.

From the information you provided, what you have might be a Siamese cat instead of an amp.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, there's just no way at all to tell with the info given.

9. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Ofc it works by itself... basicly what i want is a setup like this

bass - Effects - Old amp head - Combo amp

I can obviously connect the old amp head to a speaker cab but the point here is to boost the signal that enters in the combo amp with the old amplifier i got here stashed away...

My question is: Is it safe for the combo? or are there risks of blowing it up?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Combos almost always come with just enough speaker that the head can't blow up. And the combo head is never going to put out more power than it's capable of just by adding a preamp. If you were going for a tonal thing, that's one thing, but for extra "power" it's useless.

11. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    If it can drive a speaker then no.....don't plug it into another amp. Unless you wanna see the magic smoke.

12. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah it's for the extra power and for the tone of the head that i got here....

Since the power is out of the question now leaves us with the tone...
    is it possible?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Again, you don't give us enough info to be able to tell. How about a picture of the front and back panels?

14. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Jimmy, I'm pretty sure he's talking about running a speaker out into an instrument input.

I'm assuming you're not advocating this. lol

15. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    It's stupid but i dont have a camera and my celphone doesnt have one either :p

16. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    [QUOTE="Q";13020280]Jimmy, I'm pretty sure he's talking about running a speaker out into an instrument input.

I'm assuming you're not advocating this. lol[/QUOTE]

huh?

17. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, you said you like the tone of the home-made amp, so that leads me to figure you've plugged its output into a speaker cab, right?

What people are saying is do not plug that same amp output into the instrument input of your combo amp. If it drove a speaker cab, it's the power amp output. That's way too hot to feed into the combo's preamp stage.

Hope that helps.

See, that's why people were asking if the home-made amp had a preamp out, in addition to the power amp out. And why they were asking for pictures.

18. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    thank you.. that pretty much answered my question :)
    Yeah the amp only have a power amp out..

It has a hole to preamp out where i think in the initial project was a pre amp out... but the guy you gave me the amp never finished it completly...

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, just DO NOT use the homemade amp with your combo amp. At all.

20. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    yeah.. thanks a lot for your opinions :)
    kept me from messing up big time...
    cheers