1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Polish and Clean

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by sevenyearsdown, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    What do you guys use to clean and polish a lacquer finished laminate?

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    pledge. works and smells purdy

3. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    You're lost, RedLeg. And your advice is irresponsible.

OP, in generally a soft cloth is great for everyday cleaning. Your bass is obviously less delicate than a varnish finished bass, but especially if your bass is vintage, you want to still be careful.

So to determine exactly which polish/clean your bass, you'd want to know (1) is your bass vintage? (2) how thick of a lacquer do you have? and (3) are you talking heavy duty cleaning, or day to day?

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    It's a Shen SB-80, not vintage. Only a couple of years old. I would like to give it a thorough cleaning and polishing soon since it looks like it has never had one (I bought it used about 2 months ago).

I don't know how thick the lacquer is.

I do use regular old microfiber clothes to for everyday instrument polishing.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Pledge contains things that will break down a finish in time.
    You don't need anything more than a slightly dampened cloth. Polish it up with a dry one.

6. [QUOTE=clink;7126692
    You don't need anything more than a slightly dampened cloth. Polish it up with a dry one.
    yep..and a pair of these :cool:

7. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I appreciate the emphasis on avoiding harsh solvents (and avoiding solvents in general for every day cleaning), but a damp cloth isn't going to remove rosin build up, or other gunk built up over a couple years.

He already is using just a cloth for every day cleaning. He's looking for something for a thorough clean.

8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Naptha works really well to remove Pop's rosin, it is not as toxic as some of the solvents, but you still need to use it in a well ventilated space (outside) and with a respirator.
    BG

9. From the strings, or from the Bass?
    I like Kolsteins cleaner and polish the best.

10. kurt ratering

kurt ratering

Dec 2, 2008
    waltham, mass.
    bass luthier, johnson string inst.
    stay away from things containing silicon. its my understanding that the silicon works its way under the laquer and can lead to what ive heard refered to as "fish eye". its a bluish hue in the finish. has anyone seen or heard of this happening?

11. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    "fisheye" happens when you try to spray lacquer over wood that's contaminated with silicone. You can't develop the condition after the finish has been sprayed.

The Chinese bass in question is probably finished with polyurethane or acrylic lacquer.

12. kurt ratering

kurt ratering

Dec 2, 2008
    waltham, mass.
    bass luthier, johnson string inst.
    thanks, good to know!

13. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Both. Of course, test in an inconspicuous area of the bass to make sure none of the finish softens, but I have never had any problems. Pop's is actually a petroleum product, so the Naptha (ronson lighter fluid) dissolves it really nicely.
    BG

14. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    my teacher twenty years ago swore by toothpaste and baby oil.