1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

POLL: An active bass to complement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ba55i5t, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Musicman Sterling H (either USA or the Sterling by Musicman Sterling, the one with the switch)

2. G&L L2000

3. Lakland Skyline 44-02

4. Maruszczyk Jake 4A+

5. Stop drooling over other basses and play your T40 more!

1. ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Hello folks,

I have been enjoying my Peavey T40 a lot. I never realized how much I enjoyed having a humbucker near the bridge until I picked up this bass. I have done the Chip Todd mod on it to increase the high freq that comes out of it.

But as many others here do, I have been thinking of other basses that might tickle my fancy. It just seems like most of them have active electronics. I've posted threads on successors to the T40, and it seems like the L2000/L2500 is a good choice, besides the Big Al.

What I'm looking to solicit here is votes on whether or not it would be worth my while to consider the active basses, and in this case, 4 varying basses that have a 'bucker in the bridge. I'm considering active because I'd like to have a bit more control over my tone from the bass rather than an amp preamp, and I also do not use effects.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do? I'm not looking to go boutique either. I think that the Enfield Lionheart would be a beautiful choice but I don't have the cash to pony up, and don't think I ever could justify it being a non-pro/touring musician.

More info:

I don't want to go 5 or 6 or any more strings
    I like relatively thin necks (ie. thinner than precision)
    I like flat fretboard radius (the higher the better, the T40 is a 12" radius, so I'd like to stay there or go flatter)
    I like thin neck profiles
    I like natural options colourwise
    3 band EQ is preferable, but 2 is satisfactory
    I like options to select different tones out of the 'bucker
    I do not like the Fender Dimension bass

Thanks TB!
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I played passive for a long time until I picked up an '83 active Ibanez Musician(3 band eq). It's my go to bass right now.

The other thing I would consider is a programmable pedal or effect where you could dial in various switchable tones.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    ba55i5t likes this.
  3. chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO Lakland every time.
    George Himmel and ba55i5t like this.
  4. ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Thanks for the votes so far folks.

What makes the lakland so special? I've not had a chance to play one yet but am very curious.

I looked at one of those and they are very nice. Atm I'm not a huge fan of fx and would rather alter the tone via selecting pickups and plucking hand placement.
  5. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    You already know that the L-2000 is the way to go, right?
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Of those, I'd of course recommend the L-2000, but its EQ is passive cut-only, and only treble and bass. The active mode just changes the output impedance, which does change the tone, but it's not the same as bass with fully active EQ.

So if that's what you want, obviously the answer is G&L M-2000! :D You might need to order one to get the 12" fretboard radius and nut width you want, which will be worth it.

I normally prefer old-school passive bassses, but I absolutely love my M-2500. The preamp is excellent, and the MFD humbuckers provide warmth, clarity, and punch.
  7. bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I love a Lakland, but my G&Ls are my babies!
    ba55i5t likes this.
  8. ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    No MM love or Maruszczyk love? I was really enjoying the P + MM style pickup config. My idea is, if you're going to have a neck pickup, or a 2 pup bass, the neck one should be in or very close to the P spot. The T40 of course has a neck one but its closer to the infamous mudbucker spot than P.
    SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I voted the L2000 but I think you should consider a Bongo as well.
    pudgychef, Mystic Michael and ba55i5t like this.
  10. superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    I voted the Sterling H because that's what I'm buying for the same purpose, and it hits all your requirements: The neck is nice and thin (thinner than even the Stingray), 3-band EQ, pickup selector switch for different options, fairly flat radius... Good choice, imo
    ba55i5t likes this.
  11. You've described Ibanez SR with that preference list.
  12. Sire V7 or M7.
    ba55i5t likes this.
  13. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Since you mentioned a 3 band EQ is preferable, the G&L M2000 might be a better choice.
    Mystic Michael and ba55i5t like this.
  14. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    None of the above. Ibanez ATK.
    ba55i5t likes this.
  15. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Dude u should by my peavey millenium 5 plus. Its 5 string but has EVERYTHING ur looking for even a 15" radius. This necks so damn fast
    ba55i5t likes this.
  16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Of this list, it'd come down to either the MusicMan or the G&L. In particular, I'd go with a 2-pickup EBMM Sterling or a M-2000 (or M-2500 for a five string).

ba55i5t likes this.
  17. J Wilson

J Wilson

Feb 18, 2017
    I owned 2 T40's back in the day ($349.50, case incl, seems crazy what they sell for now !), and my first question would be: Those are MASSIVE instruments. I'm 6' and 220#, and it was a bit heavy for me, but they did have very thin, flat necks.

(Although, at this point, your poster has to remember their phenomenal build strength was better than Kevlar in a bar fight . . . . .)

So is that size and mass good for you, or do you want something a bit less unwieldy? I always ask, as not everyone is a 44 Long like me. Then we can fill in the rest of the blanks.
    ba55i5t likes this.
  18. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Having owned a T-40 (which BTW can hack a pretty decent Musicman sound), a G&L L-1505, and currently owning 3 EBMMs (a Sterling5HS included) I voted Sterling. Checks the following:

- has a thin neck, way thinner than a P (or a 4 string Stingray, or an L2000 for the case)
    - has a similar radius as the T40
    - really thin/sharp C profile, Ibanez SDGR league really
    - the natural finish on the neck (unfinished really, some waxing/oiling necessary from time to time, smoothest neck finish there is)
    - has 3 band EQ plus a coil tap switch (parallel/single coil/series), BTW, the L2000 onboard preamp is HISSY and poorly functional (in the end not much more than a treble boost), the layout is orthopaedic (the 3 band EQ layout is THE way)

As per options, well, you can always order one to your selection via a distributor, takes time to get delivered but can be done. As for you not liking the Fender Dimension, well, you're right, I also don't like them 'cause I compare them all the time to the real deal, which is Musicmans (same thing happens to me with G&L's L series). Consider a Sterling HS for added versatility (can mimic P/J too, with some added lowend authority and EBMM's signature cut-thru' ability).

EDIT: Also had a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ and the neck, altho' comfortable, is light years behind that of the Sterling. Also avoid the big pole Delano pickups, sound dead, as if the amp was under a blanket.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    ba55i5t and superheavyfunk like this.
  19. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Although all great choices, I voted G&L. I owned a G&L L2000...great bass that meets your requirements. The only reason I sold mine was for a custom build.
    ba55i5t likes this.
  20. A Sandberg TM4 or VM4.

14" radius, thin Jazz-like neck, humbucker (MM) at the bridge, active/passive (2 band), any colour you want. Made in Germany.

Ticks most of your boxes.
    ba55i5t likes this.