1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll: P Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by animal52, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Fender 62 RI

33 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. Bartolini 8S

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Bartolini 8CPB

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Dimarzio DP127

13 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Lindy Fralin

26 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. Nordy NP4

39 vote(s)
    23.9%
  7. SD SPB1

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  8. SD SPB2

5 vote(s)
    3.1%
  9. SD quarter pounders

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  10. Antiquity

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  11. EMG passive

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  12. carrots

19 vote(s)
    11.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    OK, I've searched but couldn't find any consensus on what is the most popular aftermarket P replacement pickup (split P). I'm going to mod my MIM P soon, and since I can't try all these before buying, I thought I'd post a poll. So what is the best replacement pickup in a split P configuration?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I was lucky to get two Reverend Rumblefish P pickups before they sold out - they sound amazing, and were $18 and $12!

3. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I'm curious too as I'm looking to swap out the stock pup from my SX P bass one of these days.

I think I read a previous thread that commented on the varying tonal characteristics of several different p pups and what I recall was that the Antiquity II's were supposed to be great with a huge sound, though Lollar's P pups were the ones that sounded closest to what I wanted, which was a nice vintage sounding thumpy pickup. Fralins were pretty well loved too, but supposedly some people find them clanky, but other people will argue to the death, that no, they sound great. It's all subjective, but you might add Lollar to that list.

4. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    I swapped out the MIM PU in my P-Bass and went with the Fender 62 RI......

Bought it $60.00 shipped new, and have never looked back......

5. If you are going for true Fender tone, go with Fender!! I have tried the QP (too mid rangey for my taste), the NP4 (not enough bottom, but GREAT treble), the Bart 8CBP (strange treble), the EMG (very nice tone! just not Fender-y enough for me) and the 62 Original Fender. The Fender is my flavorite!!

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Ask yourself what is the type of sound you are after (bright, dark, full, honky, balanced etc). Then you can start looking.

7. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    thanks for sharing your experience.. Do you think your Fender 62 is the one to sound like this! ( yeah i know you can't sound like other guy's finger... but! )

( i felt in love with that video, i listen it 4 times a days since a week!)...
    That is the P-Bass tone in my head...

great thread...
    thanks
    PO

8. That sounds great! You could get that tone with either the Fender or the NP4! I couldn't tell if he's using flats or not. Also, the Aguilar rig doesn't hurt either!

9. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Well, I find the regular MIM P pickups a bit too muddy, so definately something with more clarity.

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I like the sound of the Fralins that Ive heard.
    The G&L MFD's are also worth checking out.

11. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I love my new Nordy in my Sadowsky NYC JJ4, single coils are the nutz~

12. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Saturday bump!

13. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    That song was recorded on a P bass? No way! :eek: I thought that it was a Jazz of some sort with that very bright bridge pickup tone in the intro.

14. Mad Tango

Mad Tango

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    I have a stock p-pup, Nordy NP4, Fender 62 RI, tried the Lindy recently on a Lakland Bob Glaub. My best friend has the Antiquity II in his 62 P-bass RI. All of the pups are good. However, the stock had a slightly weaker G&E-string output. The Nordy and the Lindy P-pups are outstanding though.

15. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

it's a p-bass. they're pretty simple and hard to get wrong.

go with the simplest. fender.

anything else and you're paying too much for not a whole lot more than what the fender offers.

16. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Not listed, but I find the sound of my EMG Select pickup to be very big, full-ranged, and satisfying.

Bo

17. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I really like the Fralin's great tone. If you're on a budget the SPB-1's are nice.

George

18. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    Bill Lawrence P-46. You won't go wrong with this pickup. Plus, check out the price!

www.billlawrence.com

19. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Obviously I've missed some in my poll; Lollars and Bill Lawrence, and EMG selects. I'd throw them in if I could just figure out how to modify the original poll.

BTW, that youtube of jamiroquai is sick. The high notes sound really good, but does anyone else find that some of low notes sound, uh, kinda "farty"? I can't tell if that's technique (intentional of course) or the bass.

20. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Oh wow !! That is one hell of a p-tone!! :oops: Sounds so "warm" and phat. I have a p-bass myself (all original), but never discovered such a sound before. :confused: