1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portaflex - PF-500 w/ PF-210HE (2x)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garryH, Jul 30, 2012.

1. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    I'm seriously considering moving to a Portaflex setup. I play in a (mostly) classic rock band, and we play in small to medium size clubs, using our own PA setup.

My plan is to purchase the PF-500 plus two of the 210HE's.

Could anyone comment on the setup:

1) Using just one 210HE
    2) Using two 210HE stacked.

My thinking is for the smaller clubs, just use one 210HE, and for the larger clubs, run the stack of two.

As the PF-500 is 300 watts at 8 ohm, 500 watts @ 4ohm, that should be plenty for the clubs we play.

And, since the PF-500 is so portable, I can keep one 210 in the practice room when not being used.

Is this practical, or should I go for the 410HLF and save about $200.00. One reason I like using two 210HEs is getting down to 4ohms for the PF-500. Not to mention flexibility.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and comments. I'm not "married" to the Portaflex idea, but I know there are a lot of folks in this forum who love theirs and recommend them.

BTW: Sweetwater is offering 0% financing for 18 months and free shipping on the entire Ampeg Portaflex line.

Thanks ... Garry

2. I prefer the PF115 to the 210, and I dont care for the HLF voicing.

DaBassman likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like both PF___he cabs but I know nothing of the PF___hlf cabs. That's OK, though....not interested in those big huge lows of the HLF cabs. My PF rig is a PF350 and two PF115he's. I think your idea for a rig is a good one.

4. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    I have a friend who plays the same type gigs as you.......he has the same system that you are planning on.....except 1 210 and 1 115........i heard him play in a small club using both speaker cabs and it sounded very good..... tone was excellent/volume was good...........his only complaint was that the casters were poorly constructed and fell off after moving it only a few times.......he fixed it himself putting heavier duty bolt on plates for the casters............ they did have THAT ampeg sound though.

5. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    I thought about that same configuration (one 210 - one 115) but I thought I read on here about these are mismatched cabs and seem to cause problems... ?

6. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    I guess mismatched is not what I mean, but that this 210 "doesn't play well" with the 115.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    From all accounts of others on here, the PF210 and 115he do play nice with each other. Personally, I don't see much point in mixing them, but some combinations can work...it's jsut that whether or not they work can be unpredictable.

8. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I have the PF500 & (2) 115HE's, one of which I ported like the PF115HLF. I think that for what you are doing, I would go with two PF cabs. They are super light weight making load in a breeze, and you can store all your cords and goodies inside them. Plus, with 2 cabs you're getting the full potential out of the head. I gigged mine with only one PF115 cab for a while, and found it a bit lacking in the balls department. Added the second cab and I've had no compalints.

9. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks for the input stiles72. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger... :)

10. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    What about the PF410 It's been out for awhile now. I don't see many poeple talking about it ??

11. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    CL400Peavey up above said he doesn't like the voicing of the PF410 ... I've seen where others have said they have a very strong LF response, apparently a little too much???

12. I didnt care for the 410HLF that I played through. I have not played through a PF410HLF yet.

The regular HLF has a ton of lows, which is a good thing for me. It was just really mid scooped for my tastes. It was a lot of boom, and I couldnt dial in enough presence for my tastes.

For my tastes the 610 HLF is a much better balance of lows and mids between the 410 HLF and the 810e.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Newer SVT 410HLF's made by LOUD sound better to me and don't sound as mid scooped, but they do still have that big huge low end that I'm not a fan of. Hey, I may be an endorser but not everything they make hits my buttons ;)

14. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I just got the 115he for my PF-500 and together the sound is fantastic. I tried my Avatar 210 with it, which I don't like the sound of alone, and it sounded even more fantastic. I think I'm going to be going with the 115he + 210he before it's all over. The look is every bit as fantastic as the sound.

15. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Maybe because it's not a flip top? :bag:

16. FMBassist

FMBassist

Nov 27, 2017
    Milford PA
    I too use two 15's, but not for the same reason, as I like those lows from a 5er. I use the same head as Jimmie, a PF350. That 350 is awesome. I use it with a full orchestra.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Very cool gig! I no longer have the 15's, though. I decided I like the rolled off lows of my B-15 repro cabs better.