1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

positive GC stories, please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcake, Jun 12, 2019.

1. In last 20 plus years I’ve made major and minor purchases

Never had an issue with anything especially with returns.

Staff here Fayetteville is always friendly knowledgeable and professional.

2. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I found a USA G&L SB-1 on GC used and called the store to talk to someone about it. The manager told me it was in great condition and described any scratches or dings it had. I decided to buy it. He told me he would give it a setup since the action was “higher than he’d like” and would call me in 20 minutes or so before shipping it out. He called me back about 10 minutes later letting me know the truss rod was nonfunctional and let me cancel my order.

I feel like most GC employees would just make the sale and ship it out. That guy saved me $800.

He also told me if they were able to fix it that I would get first dibs on it and even called me a week later asking if I still wanted it. I passed on it because I’d rather have one that hasn’t had prior truss rod issues.

Mike Whitfield and mikewalker like this.
  3. Largest single collection of used gear in the world.
    Warranty and return policy on used gear.
    Trade in policy.

4. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    I like my Guitar Center.

muddy grampy and Mike Whitfield like this.
  5. Reviresco

Reviresco It’s all success if it’s what you need. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2011
    New England
    I’ve had nothing but positive interactions with my local GC. They always give me 15% whatever I’m buying. Best way to get the good stuff is check frequently and see what has just arrived. If it’s been there a while, it’s been man handled and is usually not in the best shape. However, the GC near me has 2 techs that a really good at what they do and are always happy to get things playable before you leave. That my experience with GC. All around good and solid.

6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    The one nearest me is clean, has some basses for sale, has sales people who aren't pushy, and has ample parking. ;)

They also have as many t-shirts and straps as they do bass string sets. :thumbsdown:

Truly, any time I've gone in there, I've sold people on things just by talking with them for a while and listening.
    It's not that hard, really.

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  7. Koala of Doom

Koala of Doom

May 4, 2019
    Oklahoma
    I've had mostly positive experiences in the various GC locations that I've been too. Most recently, I had ordered a new NS Design WAV4 from their site, and had it shipped to my local store. I unboxed it in-store, did a quick once over, and took it home. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a part of the body that had paint chipped off of it on the bottom of the instrument. I brought it back to the store, they ordered me a replacement right away. The replacement came in 3 days later in perfect condition, and I have been tremendously satisfied thus far. I've had not so great experiences as well, but nothing that has chaffed me enough that I remember the specifics.

Mike Whitfield, mikewalker and Rojd like this.
  8. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    A few years back I picked up a used Carvin from GC. Bass was circa 1994 I believe.
    Beautiful bass, zero issues. Looked new. With original hard case.
    Just a great bass all around.

Paid $300

9. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I've had uniformly good experiences with the GC stores here in the Seattle area over the last couple of years. I used to despise GC, during their "receipt checking" days, but they seem to have changed their attitude a lot. I got a killer deal on a used Guild Starfire bass a year or so ago and enjoyed chatting with the young sales guy who helped me (he told me he plays in a 70's tribute band and I said "Dude, I was in a 70's band in the 70's."). ;) I've bought a couple of guitars and a guitar amp also recently and was satisfied with the prices and with how the salespeople comported themselves. I bought a vintage Gibson G3 bass and returned it for refund a couple of days later, no questions asked. And they've been really cool about giving me boxes to ship basses I've sold on Reverb (which is what I was doing when I spotted that used Guild Starfire hanging on the wall). I tried out a used Music Man 5 string a few weeks ago and they just left me alone to noodle as long as I wanted. I still think their instrument setups and inspections tend to be crap, and I would never take an instrument to them to have work done, but I no longer dread visiting their stores--in fact it is enjoyable. And, yes, on Saturday there is the cacaphony of guitar weedlers but it makes me feel good to see people interested in musical instruments. Of course, I also try to spread the love around and support the local independently owned music stores.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was in music retail from 1980-1993 (2 different stores,) and music wholesale until '97. During my retail years we always competed with GC, but they were pretty predictable so I rarely had trouble competing. I'm very aware of music store horror stories, but none of the doozies through my experience or personal contacts had to do with GC. The really bad stories all took place at music stores which have been out of business for decades.

I didn't start dealing with GC as a customer until the 2000's, but have honestly never had an issue. Granted, I know the business and products pretty well inside and out (if not, I research thoroughly,) so I know what I need and haven't had to rely upon any else's expertise for purchases. I'm glad that most of the GC stores I've visited no longer have music blasting all day long (a tact to make the store seem busy when it's not, as well as encourage customers to make a purchase and get the hell out,) and that most of the people I've encountered have been pretty decent people.

11. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Never had a bad Guitar Center experience. I’m sure crap happens, but crap happens at Wal-Mar....bad example.

I’m sure crap happens, but crap happens at virtually all establishments.

12. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Sorry, but i grew up in an era where used name brand well playing instruments were a rarity.

So much available today.

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    GC is the only place on earth where I can play and test lots of musical instruments without being bothered by pesky salesmen.

muddy grampy and Mike Whitfield like this.
  14. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I've bought lots of used gear thru GC website, both guitars and amps. Usually ship to store and open it there. Sent back two acoustic guitars a few years ago. Kept way more than that. Latest is a sweet Breedlove premier auditorium with LR Baggs. All solid wood, in perfect condition, smokin' deal.

15. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    The nearest GC is 2.5 hours from here, and they suck.... BUT- (here's the good part), there is a Gertrude Hawk chocolates store in the same parking lot!!!

Mike Whitfield and nixdad like this.
  16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Perhaps I was lucky. I grew up in northern NJ. Just hop on a bus, and 45 minutes later I was walking through Manhattan's 48th street, the center of the rock instrument world. Literally thousands of used, name brand, perfectly set up instruments available. Thousands of new ones too. Bought my first Rickenbacker bass there. My second Ric as well. Lots of good memories. I hear that area is a ghost town these days.

Mike Whitfield, jerry and mikewalker like this.
  17. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    It sure sounds that way when you don't quote my whole post... ;)

My local GC has a pretty poor selection. If you're not into Ernie Ball bass strings and GK bass amps, there's not much there for you. They always have the same 8-10 basses hanging around, too. Their pedal selection is a joke. I could on. Maybe your GC is better, but mine feels like it's catering to kids and their parents (I think I said something along these lines at the end of my last post...)

18. I cant complain about the sales staff at GC. They usually give me 15% off unless the item is already on sale. They have a lot of guitars, They just don't have a good selection of basses. I guess thats why its GC and not BC.

Mike Whitfield and pcake like this.
  19. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    It's interesting how different each store is. The GC near me must have 5 or 6 different brands of bass strings, in different gauges. There's an entire wall of bass and guitar strings available. They always have Mark Bass, Ampeg, Orange, Fender, and a few other amp brands on the floor, and a whole wall of basses, from Rickenbacker, to Fender, to Musicman, to Ibanez, and a few more brands I'm forgetting. The guitar wall is twice as big. And that's not to mention the acoustic room, and the high end room.

There's another GC about 1/2 hour away that's even bigger and more comprehensive. I had to drive down there to try out an Ovation acoustic that they didn't carry at the store near me.

20. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    Since I already have some very nice guitars and basses, I'm more of a lookie-loo. The GC in Daytona Beach is around the corner from where I work. I've spent the greater part of many lunch hours, playing various basses and (usually acoustic) guitars, like a "kid in a candy store". My only complaint is they only have a couple of Gibson or Epiphone SG guitars. While I haven't made any major purchases besides accessories, the staff there have been gracious and very friendly. I 'm guessing they probably hope I'll finally get that damn EBMM Sub Bass I keep messing with (Fathers Day is Sunday...after all)!!!