1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

positive GC stories, please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcake, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    I really like GC and tend to have good experiences. I travel some for work and pop in to different stores when I can.

I think GC - as with many things in life - is what you make it. I can think of two positive experiences that could have been bad if viewed a different way.

1. I bought an aerodyne from them. It was a floor model and marked down significantly. Since I was traveling they agreed to ship it to my home. For free. Well their shipping guy got confused and pulled a fresh from factory bass and sent it to me. The sales guy called and emailed all apologies offering to send me return labels. I was not about to send the fresh never played one back so they sent me a gift card for their mistake. All around good customer service. Sure they screwed up but they were doing me a favor in the first place.

2. Last weekend in a newly opened and really crowded store my son and I were messing with the mini Akai keyboards. We could not get one to turn on so I ask a sales guy for help. He says “oh people leave those on all the time” and wanders off. I was a bit confused by that and decided to walk back to the wall of basses. 5 minutes later the sales guy finds me in the crowd holding three AA batteries. He takes me back over and loads the batteries so my son could take it for a test drive. Again, the sales guy went out of his way to be helpful.

Someone made the point that CG is for the hobbyist. To a certain extent that is probably true; you won’t find Fodera’s on the wall. But I think CG is doing a pretty good job.

Mike Whitfield and mikewalker like this.
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I've had mostly positive experiences at GC. I think it's mainly because I've been playing for a long time and I do a lot of research before I make a purchase. Most of the employees I've dealt with have been friendly and helpful.

I've only had two problems at GC. The first was about 15 years ago. I was interested in a new GK head. The employee asked what I was using for cabs and I told him Ampeg. He then told me that the GK head was not compatible with Ampeg cabs because GK is made in Germany and "The electricity is different over there".

The second time was about 6 years ago when I was interested in a used Eden cab that was on the GC website and in stock locally. I told the assistant manager that I wanted to try the Eden cab but it wasn't on the sales floor. I still remember the conversation:
    AM: Eden? Never heard of it.
    Me: Really, they are very well known and according to the website, you have a used one in stock.
    AM: Eden? Like the garden of eden?
    Me: Yes!
    AM" Like Barbara Eden?
    Me: Yes!
    AM: Sorry, never heard of it.

At that point an employee came over and said the cab was in the backroom because it had a blown speaker. I don't go to GC very often anymore because I have deals with several manufacturers and I also buy mostly used gear, but I wouldn't hesitate to go there is I needed something that they had.

mikewalker likes this.
  3. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Have made numerous purchases and a couple returns (not due to merchandise problem, just changed my mind). Never had anything but 100% good experience.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

My SO recently spotted a beautiful brand new D’Angelico Series SS on special for about half the usual street price and had ut shipped to our nearest GC. When she arrived to pick it up, the manager brought it out and asked if it would be ok to have their tech go over it with her to make sure she was happy with it.

C288DB97-2BB2-42D4-BDE9-BF34B8319B71.

She agreed and the tech on duty that morning (an older gentleman who is actually a very competent and experienced guitar repairman) asked if she was in a rush. Because he wanted to do a full setup to match her personal preferences while she was in the store. She ok’d it. And when it was finished (after some back and forth “do you like it better this way or the way it was before” and related guitarist geeking that took about a half hour) he declined to charge her for it and even refused a $20 tip. He said “I cannot let a guitar like this go out the door without it being perfectly adjusted.”

Sweet! :):thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  5. 6Bass101

6Bass101

Apr 2, 2016
    Fort Mill, SC
    I bought a used Ibanez SR506 from their website, listed in fair condition, with case for $200. When it arrived it was in practically new condition and the case was a Gator ATA flight case. Probably the best used deal I've ever had.

6. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I've had many very positive expierences at Guitar Center. When people have a negative experience, they feel the need to post about it here.

7. I bought my Rickenbacker 4001V63CS, Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass at GC...Never paid more for strings than I wanted to there. I also bought my two GK 700RB II amps at GC.
    Many good memories back in the early to mid 80's at the Niles, IL GC where there were HUNDREDS of guitars on the walls and the bass selection was pretty massive. LOTS of used gear and I even was there when George Lynch (then in Dokken) stopped by the Niles store to check out some pedals...

mikewalker and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. Playsjazz1

Playsjazz1 Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    I’ve had a few good experiences and a few bad ones. Really does depend on the Manager. I worked on and off in Music Stores as a young adult and the good managers made working and selling fun, while the bad ones you wanted to piss every customer off just to spite them!!

My most recent experience was probably the best I’ve ever had. Tried to order a used bass head online and the order wouldn’t go through. I called my local GC here in Birmingham, Al and the sales men went above and beyond to get it taken care of. The listing said the condition of the amp was “fair” and he called the store it was at to make sure everything was on the up and up with it. He didn’t have to do that at all and the amp was delivered without issue and works great!

9. RenoDave

RenoDave Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Reno Nevada
    I have been treated well at the local store in Reno, NV. When either buying or selling equipment and purchasing miscellaneous items. I have also done well purchasing online. However I have been in to the Nashville store on more then one occasion and been either ignored or treated rudely. The one time I was treated half way decent in the Nashville store the associate helping me was a bit over worked and did not have much time to help me. I think it depends on the store and the management.

Playsjazz1 likes this.
  10. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I use to travel, for biz, and have been in lots GC,s and music stores in general. I use to go to the "old" GC in San Diego in the 90's, great place. I have good luck in Ocala, not so much in Gainesville, Fl. Asheville is pretty meh IMHO. Fact is any retail outlet is only as good as it's manager. One observation, the more music oriented the city ( Nashville, Asheville, Gainesville) the less engaging staff is. I leave out LA because it really is a different vibe and mostly friendly, at least the 25+ years I lived there. I still am thankful that GC was and is there. Music, especially guitar players, would not be where they are today without them. I have seen the look on kids faces when their mom or dad get them their first elec or accoustic guitar, it's priceless. So as far as Guitar Centers go, it's a good thing for music not a bad. :)

11. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

I'm a used gear type of guy.

Bought a barely used Squier Strat for $50.00 plus tax. No idea why, other than it played well.

Gave it to my wife, she loves it.

pcake likes this.
  12. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    hey, if it plays, $50 is a deal :)

and your wife loves it :)

Mike Whitfield and Admiral Akbar like this.
  13. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    /\/\THIS, exactly./\/\

mikewalker likes this.
  14. Two words: return policy. I won't buy instruments online without a return policy, and yes, that means I never buy on talkbass.

Mike Whitfield and Admiral Akbar like this.
  15. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    Yeah, I have gotten a couple of basses for about half of what they were worth but they are the ones that put the price on them. I’ll never complain about those deals.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019 at 8:50 PM
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The bathrooms are pretty clean, an important feature for this old bassist climbing out of a van.:D

17. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Positive eh ?
    Up here in the Great White North we don't got any......

Fishheadjoe and mikewalker like this.
  18. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    The local one is good. The staff are allright folks. I see them having to deal with pissy people I wouldn't have the patience for. They have started doing sub-contracted lessons. One of the teachers is cute as hell. ;)

You can get a protection plan on used gear there, which is fairly awesome. You can get a cash refund on used gear as well, within a certain time, and I have used that.

Their online inventory system is solid, and I have found stuff in the local store the staff didn't know they had and had to dig for, but found.

GC is pretty much awesome for musicians. It's a decent social hub for us as well. I always have one or two conversations when I go there (or try to). My main peeve is they seem to think that 95% of bass strings should be the same gauge, 45-105.

mikewalker likes this.
  19. I can't recall a bad experience at a Guitar Center, beyond someone noodling on a guitar at full volume. The staff at my local store (Lawrenceville, GA) has been aces, and even directed me towards better quality gear at a lower price. They're my go-to if I need something urgently, such as strings, and usually they have some good to great deals on used gear.

My last purchase was a used Ibanez SR1300 Premium in absolutely fantastic shape for half of what a new one would cost - and it was last year's model. Came with an Ibanez hard case as well, and 0% interest for 48 months (pretty rare for used stuff).

When they had a deal on their Fender P/J specials, for some reason the no interest offer didn't go through and I was asked to call customer service. The lady who answered was charming, funny, and asked me questions about my purchase. It took about ten minutes to clear the problem. She called a few weeks later to follow up.

Not every visit has been gold; sometimes they don't have what I need/want, or the store is so busy I can't get help trying to find something, but that's going to happen with any store. I let it go and come back later; it's not the individual store's fault if they're understaffed (company policy, I'm guessing). And sure, some people need to be fired and some stores closed to start again - but that's every chain store in the world. YMMV.

I think it's trendy for some to jump on GC, even when they don't deserve it.

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Bought a killer used MIA G&L SB2 at the Downtown NYC GC for $600 about 10 years ago.