1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post your band with chick singers!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Just started playing with a new band, first female fronted band I've been a part of in a while. I like being in bands with women, as taboo as a lot of rock peeps thing that is. Please share your experience, videos, and pics. :)

Brand spankin new video I did with them. The Happy Problem performing "Matador".

YouTube - ‪Matador‬‏

2. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I love being in bands with chicks, too. There are some prejudices and stereotypes to overcome, but the pros typically outweigh the cons. Most male singers I've worked with or seen around locally don't have the pipes to do some of the popular music that people want to here. Girls can pull that stuff off a lot easier. And it doesn't hurt to have a cute girl doing the booking for your band when most bar owners/managers are male.

Me with Sibling Rivalry:

Attached Files:

3. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Very nice there Mr. Nerve. Great bass tone on the recording...

4. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed. Cool video and nice playing. At first, I didn't like the song much, but it rapidly grew on me. Good luck with it!

5. trayner1

trayner1

Jul 1, 2010
    La Jolla,CA
    Schizoid, judging by your avatar, you must be all over this thread.

6. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Giggity!

But no, I enjoy the eye candy, both on and off the stage, but I'm a happily married man. Quagmire was the first thing I found for an avatar when I signed up.

7. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
  8. Hey Joe why wasn't I surprised when I seen this was your post! ha ha ha good luck man with the new gig. RTS

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Thanks guys. I'm having fun with this band. With every new band I play with, I learn more about the people I don't want to be playing with.

Where are all the rest of the bands?

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good thing the thread isn't called "Post your Band with With Chick Singers Who Show Up on Time and Help Move Sh*t"... or it would be a really short thread.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Great song, great video! I love the moment at about 1:02 where random chick jumps in front of the camera and upstages the band. Classic!

12. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    This was my band in 1978...chick singer was all of about 14 years old when this pic was taken. (Of course, I was all of about 17...)
    [​IMG]

I've been in a lot of bands with female singers since then...will have to dig around in my archives to see if I have any other pics.

13. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
  14. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Our band has a chick singer and its pretty cool. She is not only a really good singer, but she is good looking and a great front person. She can work a room like none other, and I could stand up there naked and no one would notice me lol

15. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Hey... she sang in your band too???? :smug::D;)

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    My chick singer shows up on time, helps move stuff, sets up and runs the lights, helps tear down, runs the website and Facebook, and sings her tail off.

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    OK, but is she hot? :D

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    So, my band is Ara'Kus - Operatic, Theatrical Heavy Metal. We have a full chorus, actors, Seattle Knights, fire dancers etc. in our productions. Here is our former lead Soprano getting ready for a show:
    [​IMG]

You can see a fair amount of our chorus here (male and female):
    [​IMG]

Here you can see a rather fine shot of our aerialist doing her thing:
    [​IMG]

I don't have any photos of our newest Soprano from a performance... hopefully soon.

We are Ara'Kus: Ara'Kus Productions, Aeterno Elementum | Immersive Heavy Metal Opera
    :D

19. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    She Blinded Me With Science --- YouTube - ‪High in the Mid 80s - She Blinded Me With Science, Thomas Dolby Cover‬‏

Promises in the Dark --- YouTube - ‪High in the Mid 80s, Promises In The Dark, Pat Benatar Cover‬‏

We have two female singers. Both are redheads :)

I really like playing with females. Keeps the gym locker room aspect away from the band situation.

BTW, these are from our first gig, with a few flubs.

EDIT---- here is a link to the original band I was in that featured a very good female singer and a tremendous drummer. XRAYCAT--- www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVzqTqrjvw

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My earlier snarky comments aside...

I think that especially if you're in a cover, "variety" band, the ideal way to go is to have two lead singers... a guy and a gal. It opens up so many more options for you in terms of material, plus it increases your band's potential appeal by adding a 2nd front person that might appeal to another portion of the crowd for whom the guy singer isn't their thing, for whatever reason. We have this situation right now in my main band and it really works out well for us in performance even though the chick singer seems to have her own agenda sometimes and doesn't always pull her weight offstage like I would prefer. The gal and the guy (who is the BL), both play keyboards so whoever isn't doing front duties on a particular song is playing keys and so it's really pretty seamless.