1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Postponed The Inevitable...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgrooves2, Jan 13, 2012.

1. So,
    I have been avoiding the inevitable for as long as I've been playing bass ( about 15 years) and am finally giving in and shopping around for a Fender Jazz Bass and a Precision for the studio. I won't be getting both at the same time, or even close to at the same time, but I have finally had enough of tweaking and tinkering to emulate the sound of a P or a Jazz for different situations. I have had a HUGE array of different instruments in my arsenal at any one time, but have never actually owned a Fender Jazz or Precision bass. I have had a few cheap copies, that I actually really enjoyed, for a while. My main instruments right now are a Spector Euro 4 LX and a ZON Sonus 5 string. Both great instruments and I will likely never get rid of them, but I am just finally letting go and ready to get the one that started it all.

I have taken notice that there are many varying opinions on particular models of the Jazz bass and have come here for some advice on which models will be best crafted, and priced for my budget studio. I am not a relic hunter and don't particularly care about the Custom Shop basses, but I do want to get my hands on an instrument that will be with me the rest of my life. Or at least most of it.
    As of right now, I am really interested in the Geddy Lee Jazz bass, the Highway One Jazz, the American Special, and the 70's Precision. Yeah I have a thing for Maple Fretboards and I currently have None in my collection of basses. I have also eyed a couple Squiers that look good given their extremely low cost.
    Anyway I goes what Im getting at is what are some of your guys thoughts on what to check out first? Unfortunately there is not a music shop anywhere near me that has any of these instruments to check out but i do plan to get my hands on them before i buy one. I am going to have to check them out as I make my rounds on weekends to the nearest cities that actually give a **** about servicing the music industry.

So For your money, what you first check out at the shop for a jazz and precision bass selection?
    By the way I am trying to keep things in a fairly tight budget. Im gone say 1200.00 or under for this one, and likely the same for the second. Most Likely Jazz first, then Precision.

2. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
  3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'd check out used Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn's and Bob Glaub's.

4. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have 60s fenders, 60s fender Reissues. Alleva Coppolo J And P basses... Sadowsky in 4 and 5 strings..
    And if i had to get an inexpensive bass to gig with, that sounded good, and felt lightweight.. I would without one hesitation get a Fender Road Worn... I love them. Some dont because they are already dinged up.
    Who cares. Are ya gonna look at it and worship it or play it?
    I would throw new pickups in it and cal it a day.
    I have a few friends that are out on major league "A" and "B" tours using teh fender RW basses... And they fit your budget.. In fact i am getting one next month after the NAMM show

5. I do love a PJ setup. I have 2 Spector Euro 4 LX basses with P+J and I used to have an old p bass copy i modded with a jazz pup at the bridge, and actually wish I still had it. It was cheap and ugly, but the tone was pretty good. I t had a crappy fret job though and I got rid of it for cheap. That pink is BLAZING!!! might be doable for the money though, Ill keep looking ;)

6. My pinkie:) i need to take photos that was with a weird lighting , really bright its way mellower then that.

I would look for a used highway 1 j and P bass