1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Amp with a Sans Amp RBI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fletz, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Hi - I was wondering if I could get more bang for said buck by getting a decent power amp and running it with a Sans Amp RBI? All my pre-amp settings would come from there and then I could put the power amp through my Hartke HyDrives. What's the general consensus? And, what's a decent one to buy in the $400 range?

steve66 likes this.
  2. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Sure, I did this some years back. How about a Crown XLS 1002, retails for $299, 9 lbs., 1100 watts bridged mono at 4 ohms.

(My QSC below was quite a bit heavier! Like bebass says below, this rig simply crushed and shrugged off anything the gui****s tried to throw at me.)

100_1860-a.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    JeffC23, Maureen M, steve66 and 2 others like this.
  3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Cool. Thanks!

4. My big rig consists of a QSC RPM 850 bridged mono and SansAmp RBI.. Many guitarists are fearful when I am running it :bassist:
    Also, dont rule out used gear. Great deals if you know what your looking for and prices.

5. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Absolutely will work great. I ran an RBI with a Crest CA4 power amp for several years. There are a lot of great class-D power amp options out there: Crest ProLite, Peavey IPR, Crown, to name a few.

Rickter and Maureen M like this.
  6. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    One last question - if the amp has two channels, can I run the two outputs from the GED 2112 into it at the same time (instead of an RBI)?

7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    2s7e72e.
    has worked great for me.

i don't see why not. could make for a really cool bi-amp rig.

8. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes you can do that as long as you have 2 separate cabs one for each channel of the power amp

daveman50 likes this.
  9. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I ran this type rig for several years, RBI with a QSC PLX1804 and a 12' cab and a 15" cab. Those dummy guitar players with their double Marshall stacks didn't stand a chance. And to your other question, yes if you have two cabs. I eventually was running two different pres, the RBI and a Presonus channel strip, one through one channel and the other through the 2nd channel. Now I use the easy all in one lightweight bass amp, but a player can sure dial up some thunder with what you describe.

10. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Works for me, got the amp for $265. 1400 watts (700 a side, 1400 bridged)
    20170802_083529.

11. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    I don't know about bang-for-the buck (because I never compared), but I was happy for many many years with my RBI/power amp setup (until I switched to my Eden pre/power amp rig). I think you could be quite happy. Don't know about sub $400 because I've only used QSC amps. Maybe a used one of those?

Fletz and Maureen M like this.
  12. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I did the preamp/power amp thing for several years. It really comes down to finding the pre-amp that you like. There use to be a ton of rack mount pre-amps available but now days they are few and far between. If you like the RBI you could match it up with a Crown XLS or Crest or even a Behringer and get a lot of clean power. But, by the time you add in a rack power strip and rack case and cables, I doubt you will be saving much money.

Fletz likes this.
  13. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    MPLS, MN
    Not to hijack this thread, but I was tinkering with a similar idea with a few changes. I was thinking of using my SansAmp VT bass pedal as a preamp feeding a powered speaker, like a PA speaker but one that was more sympathetic to constant bass frequencies and would sound decent.

Anyone know of a good powered speaker that could fill this role for under $350?

14. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    There are a lot of good powered speakers that will work but, I think you'll have to go more than $350. The QSC K12.2 comes to mind but it is $800.00

johnpbass and scowboy like this.
  15. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    While I've never owned a rig like that myself, have played through many, and been always happy. I'd consider something similar if I needed something that powerful, and if I had the ca$h and $pace.

16. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    QSC2402. Dip switch settings later models don't have, pushes any cab or cabs. Rack here has a dbx 166XL for speaker protection(per Andy at ACME's advice b/c the amp can launch these speakers if one is not careful).
    I liked the 2402 so much I bought another just to use with any preamp & my practice rig(or the new Geddy SansAmp!).

OutdoorRigFXd.

BrentSimons, johnpbass and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  17. It's absolutely more bang for your buck.

Ran the sans amp RBI with my crown xls 1500 for a while with various ampeg cabs. 810e, 410he x2, 410he + 15. Works great. And the power amp is within your price range.
    IMG_2191.JPG
    I did recently swap the RBI out for the Avalon u5. But I'm getting all my dirt from Darkglass pedals now and specifically wanted an Avalon for my clean tone after using one in the studio. Nice thing about this type of setup is if you want to change your sound you don't have to spend a grand or more on a new bass head, you can just swap out the pre amps.
    IMG_3301.JPG

BrentSimons likes this.
  18. When I ran an RBI it was better with an EQ pedal as the 3 band's mid has no sweep. I never got around to trying the RPM.

19. I was using an SWR ST-800 (2 x 400W/ch @ 4 ohms, 800W/bridged @ 4ohms) with my RBI.

I still have the RBI and the SWR. The SWR still works, the RBI, not so much...

Unfortunately, the RBI's internal ribbon connectors went for a crap. They were replaced once, worked for a few more months, then the "sansamp" side of the pre died completely (At least I now have a nice 1RU chassis/power supply for a project!)...

ST-800s go for about $150- 200 on the used market now.

20. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    MPLS, MN
    Such was my concern. I can get my hands on a used JBL PRX 612m so I will see if that sounds OK, but I have 0 expectations of greatness. QSC K12.2 is a good suggestion, though - might have to keep my eyes open for a used one in the future.