1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mpayne86, Mar 29, 2013.

1. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    After having 2 cabs for a while now I figured out I am starving for power when I play a little on the heavy side. I was wondering what recommendations do people have for power amps?
    I am running an Ampeg portaflex pf 500 which is a great amp and I like it. I however have 2 cabs and that amp does not like running both at the same time.

2. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    I'm surprised your PF500 is starved for power. Are you using inefficient, power-hungry cabs or something?

While I don't have any direct experience with the PF500 (other than some lower volume jazz gigs at a wine bar), I have two other amps with similar power ratings: a Carvin BX500 and a GK 700RB-II. They both produce gobs of power through a pair of reasonably efficient 8-ohm cabs, way more than I have needed in a rock band setting. (Of course, I play in bands where the guitarists mainly play combo amps and not full stacks.)

If you think 500 watts at 4 ohms isn't loud enough, to get much more volume you'd need to significantly add more power due to the whole logarithmic nature of perceived volume. I've read that a GK MB800 produces significantly more power than most lightweight heads, or you could consider going to a bridged stereo PA amp, where you can get upwards of 1500 watts or so in bridged 4-ohm mode on a Crown DriveCore XLS series amp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What 2 cabs?

4. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    +1 for the DriveCore XLS. When I switched from a head to a power amp this was the solution for me. Good power even in stereo mode running multiple cabs but, really starts to breathe well when bridged @ 4 ohm.
    Of course, if you are putting your head on a shelf you may want to think about getting a good preamp . . . . and a dual EQ . . . . and a rack mount power supply. . . . and a rack to put it all in . . . and a rack mount tuner to take up that empty spot.:)

5. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Another + for crown. I'm using a xls1000.

6. Liggins

Liggins

Sep 27, 2012
    London, England
    Just changed my XLS1000 to an XLS1500, twinned with a Barefaced Big Twin and a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Pro...

1500w into 4 ohms in a package that is lighter than the pedalboard for the Pod...!

Excellent and capable amps.