power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by netvampire, Jun 3, 2004.

1. netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    :bag: Has anyone here tried a yamaha pII 5000s p/amp. ?
    as i am getting a new setup together for a light rig. so far decided on 2 pre amps (bbe BMAX & Sans Amp RBI) an Acme lowb2 (4 ohm) and as much as i would love a QSC plx 2402.
    over here in Aus there a little expensive, i know the yamaha is only 3 kg heavier and seem to have pretty much the same output and features. :help:
  2. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    You're talking the recent P5000S with switching power supply right? I compared the P7000S to a QSC PLX2402, and soundwise the Yamaha was nowhere close in terms of depth and clarity. I ended up buying a Lab Gruppen LAB1300C which sounds a little better than the PLX, got a sweet deal on it used, but a PLX would have been a good choice as well.

I also got feedback from a PA-guy I know whose P7000S crapped out after 1 week, even though it was not driven hard.

My 2 cts worth ...

PS: if you're strapped for cash, go for a used oldfashioned powersupply Crest/Crown/QSC/EV/Zeck and change to lightweight when you can afford it. At least your sound won't suffer, and you don't get the radio interference from the switching power supply :p
  3. netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Thanks for the info, actually spoke to someone regarding the new yamaha, i was told that recently they had a chip malfunction on a batch sent out, and had to recall quite a few. mmm on that note think i might just save up some more and go QSC. I Do need lightweight because of a back injury.