Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by netvampire, Jun 3, 2004.

1. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    :bag: Has anyone here tried a yamaha pII 5000s p/amp. ?
    as i am getting a new setup together for a light rig. so far decided on 2 pre amps (bbe BMAX & Sans Amp RBI) an Acme lowb2 (4 ohm) and as much as i would love a QSC plx 2402.
    over here in Aus there a little expensive, i know the yamaha is only 3 kg heavier and seem to have pretty much the same output and features. :help:

2. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    You're talking the recent P5000S with switching power supply right? I compared the P7000S to a QSC PLX2402, and soundwise the Yamaha was nowhere close in terms of depth and clarity. I ended up buying a Lab Gruppen LAB1300C which sounds a little better than the PLX, got a sweet deal on it used, but a PLX would have been a good choice as well.

I also got feedback from a PA-guy I know whose P7000S crapped out after 1 week, even though it was not driven hard.

My 2 cts worth ...

PS: if you're strapped for cash, go for a used oldfashioned powersupply Crest/Crown/QSC/EV/Zeck and change to lightweight when you can afford it. At least your sound won't suffer, and you don't get the radio interference from the switching power supply :p

3. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    Thanks for the info, actually spoke to someone regarding the new yamaha, i was told that recently they had a chip malfunction on a batch sent out, and had to recall quite a few. mmm on that note think i might just save up some more and go QSC. I Do need lightweight because of a back injury.