1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

power octaves

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Mar 11, 2013.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    watched a video with john paul jones the other day and he was discussing power octaves.

To my understanding this would be like playing a note simultaneously with it's octave either higher or lower. For instance stricking an open A while and the fifth fret on the E string.

The purpose is to give more ompf the note.

Now my question is just to better understand the purpose and usefullness of this tecnique... or even if my understanding is correct at all.

2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    In higher registers you can throw in the fifth and have yourself a more fleshed out major chord

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    This would be unison, not an octave.

This is correct.

4. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    He does the unison/octave on the Whole Lotta Love riff.

EDIT: I belive this is the video you're talking about

5. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    and you end up with this...

6. SteC

SteC

Mar 20, 2012
    New York
    Very cool. Must try this at some point.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do it all the time. It's great. Used to do it trying to imitate Tom Petersson's 12 string on a couple Cheap Trick tunes we were doing, then started incorporating it into songs I wrote and other covers I did.

8. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Jul 2, 2012
    Canada
    It's also referred to as an octave chord and it can be great for bass soloing or jazz bass where bass chords get used a lot. It's also up there with the 10th chord for its very clean voicing and the fact that it's well above the low interval limit anywhere on the bass' neck (doesn't sound the least bit muddy on the first fret or open strings)

9. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Where's the third?

10. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    You're absolutely right! I can't believe I missed that... Lol brain fart

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I like doing this in anticipation of moving a bassline to a higher or lower octave... really helps accent notes on the low B.

12. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Not to derail the thread but in that isolated clip of JPJ it sounds like he's using a pick. Just thought he played with fingers.....