1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powered PV215 at MF - $300

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Remyd, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
  2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Looks good for a boat anchor.

3. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    a boat anchor . . . ? It's made of wood.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I played in a band using two of the non powered versions. Can you get better sound with less weight? Certainly. For $299? The field narrows.

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Actually it isn't made of real wood. MDF which will fall apart when it gets wet. So it is a biodegradable boat anchor.

6. cruzer51

cruzer51

Jan 13, 2009
    So what are you trying to say?

7. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    Saying they're like gremlins - don't get them wet.

Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) is a composite of ground up wood and glue, and if it absorbs too much water, the bond breaks down and the wood bits literally fall apart. So while it makes a fine speaker cabinet material from a sonic perspective, it's not quite as sturdy at plywood when getting beat around in gig vans or having beer spilled on it, or being unexpectedly rained on at an outdoor show. It's a cheaper material to acquire and work with than high grade plywood, and so is often found in low-cost PA speakers like this.

pglaser01 and modulusman like this.
  8. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    hmm, fiberboard would fall apart and the power amp section would sink . . . you win this one!!!

9. Thank you for sharing.

10. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've got non-plywood PV enclosures that have held up well over decades of hard use. This is quite the deal. The speaker design has been used by PV since the 80's...two 15's in a quasi two way with a big horn. The top 15 is low passed, producing mids and up and the bottom 15 run full range.

Such a deal for $300, but big and heavy as these always have been. Good for those under 40.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm not sure that's right; usually with these kind of boxes, the top 15 is full-range, and the bottom 15 is indeed low-passed, but that means it only produces lows (so it won't comb-filter the mids with the top 15).

like i've pointed out in seemingly five threads at once around here, they're kind of a "garage band speaker", not especially practical compared to smaller boxes that you could pole mount and use with subs.

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Yeah but the clueless still buy them because they look awesome.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  13. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    You guys can relax. It's no longer the stupid deal.