Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powered Wizzy cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bmc, Mar 26, 2004.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I still have this notion of downsizing yet again. The idea of replacing my Nemesis NC210P with the new EA Powered WIzzy driven by the new EBS preamp stombox sounds interesting.

Any opinions on what the sound differences would be? I don't have access to EA products here. I keep reading about how loud EA boxes are. I wonder if my tone and volume would diminish by going from 200 watts and 2-10's to 200 watts and 1-12 in transmission line speaker.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If you want portability consider an unpowered Wizzy cab with a Acoustic Image Clarus head. Total weight about 35 lbs(15 pounds lighter than the rig you're considering) and the Clarus will go to 2 ohms so you can add another unpowered cab when needed.

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    That's a very interesting suggestion. Any sense of fullness of sound difference between 2-10's and 1-12? I think I know the answer, but always hopeful that something small can in fact do a better job. Looking at fullness of sound, projection, volume, throw. Those kinds of things.

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If you want me to compare your Nemesis 2x10 to an EA 1x12 I can not do because I have no experience with the Nemesis. I can say that EA cabs generally outperform cabs that are much larger in size in volume and clarity. I usually use a CXL110 cab for 90% of my work and it amazes me how full it is.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks for that.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Never underestimate the power of the Wizzy! I have an unpowered Wizzy WZ-112E, and it will keep up with most 2x10's out there. Really a tremendous little cab. The CxL-112 would (potentially) be even louder.

Tom.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Good suggestion. I tried that head through an Acme B2 and an Alembic Essence ( it was at the Australian launch of Alembic Basses). That little amp really impressed me.