1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practice Amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by medgeking, Mar 5, 2013.

1. medgeking

medgeking Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got a Peavey Combo 300 amp in my garage which I'm currently playing both guitar and bass through very happily (despite a couple quirks), but the thing is a monster in size, weight and volume, so I don't move it. It's just there for jamming with friends and band practice.

I'm looking for a small practice bass amp that I can have in my living room next to my Fender Mustang I guitar amp. I don't need lots of volume, but I'd like good tone. In particular, I like control over the low mids. I'm trying to decide on whether or not I should invest in a Carvin MB10, or just get something smaller and cheaper.

If I have to pay $200 for a cheap crappy amp and can get something like the Carvin for $100 more, then I'll probably spend the $s for the Carvin (or other), but I thought I'd check to see if there are any other less expensive options you guys would suggest. I've actually been intrigued by the Fender Bronco modeling amp, but haven't played one.

One additional comment is that I've played through a bunch of bass amp offerings from Acoustic and I think they sound terrible - boxy and they are obviously cheaply made. This is the type of thing I'd like to avoid.

Let me know what you think.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Only having experience with GK and yorkville, I'd say go for and RB or MB combo. Lightweight, awesome tone for I think around $400. But that may be too rich for your blood possibly?? I have no experience with Carvin, but gallien Kruger make spectacular products. Just this guys opinion. I am obviously biased though.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    GK RB or MB I mean.

4. medgeking

Aug 9, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    fair enough, I haven't looked at the GK stuff yet . . .

5. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    I would recommend the Ampeg BA108. It's a fantastic practice amp, it has25 watts, a stereo CD/MP3 input, a headphone output, and an 8" speaker. Great sound, a quite a few TBers use one as their bedroom type practice amp. Plus, they only cost $100 brand new.

6. Mugwump

Mugwump

Dec 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I just picked up the Ampeg 108. Great tone and more than loud enough for practice. But it is large for a practice amp. It's fine if it's just for moving around the house.
    But I think I'm going to keep looking for something with similar tone but half the size. I need it for lugging around the city to lessons. It's just too obnoxious for the trains and buses.
    But that may just be a pipe dream.

7. medgeking

Aug 9, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'll have to consider that 8" Ampeg . . .

8. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    ampeg 50 watt combo. good tone for a practice amp.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you already have an iPhone use it, or an Older generation iPod touch can be had cheap.

This and headphones makes a great practice rig. For hauling to lesson's, take two headphones.

You can plug you bass into the ipod, at the same time you plug the ipod into your stereo to jam along with songs and tracks.

Check out iRealb.com for practice band for iPod.

10. +1. I've been using my BA112 now for 2 years at home and sometimes out. Has great sound and with the shape shift knob you can really get alot of sounds and it does change the mids some.

11. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    yup the BA112 is the one I was thinking of. anything less is going to sound rinky dink.

12. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    If I were going with the Carvin, i'd grab the 2x10 for few bucks more. I would rather have a larger 2x10 cab than a single. I have a Promeathean combo and head always get used with a 2x10 as opposed to a single cab combo. It just has a bigger/fuller sound whether it's band or bedroom practice.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've had good luck with the BA110 and 108 as well. The BA112 sounds better but the BA110 doesn't sound rinky dink. Neither does the BA108, although rinky dink being in the ears of the beholder, YMMV.

14. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Rinky dink has not made the TB glossary yet so it certainly is subjective.

:D

Id trust Jimmy on this more than myself. Hes got more experience with all of these models than I do.

15. mac94

mac94

Jun 7, 2009
    Burlington, VT
  16. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    have you though about one of the "new" peavey Max amps? just last year they redesigned the whole line of 1x8, 1x10, 1x12 and 1x15 amps. plus i think they have a 5 year warranty.

17. medgeking

Aug 9, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's very tempting . . . now I'm just confused.

18. medgeking

Aug 9, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    OK, I'm down to the Ampeg BA108 and the Peavey Max 158.

I checked in with my Sweetwater Sales Engineer and he thinks I should go with the Ampeg because he said he played through one recently and was really impressed with the sound.

BUT . . . I kind of like the specs of the Peavey better. I like the onboard tuner (I use that feature on my Fender Mustang I all the time for playing guitar). I also like that the Peavey has an 1/8" input instead of the L/R CD input. Finally, the Peavey is a little smaller and it's lighter.

Anyone here have experience with both of these amps? If the Ampeg has significantly better sound, then I'll go with it. If they sound similar though, I think I'm going for the Peavey . . .

Let me know.

19. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I could be wrong but I do believe that they will sound significantly different. I've always loved the ampeg sound too. I still have a smaller practice amp by ampeg I use from time to time and love it's tone. Never really used peavey though. I think mine is from the older rocket bass line though. Still a great little amp.

20. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    I can personally vouch for the MAX 112. I bought it for acoustic but it works well with electric too - surprisingly well.

Not a fan of the Ampeg BA series. Cheap junk.

The Carvins are a great little combos. Before I settled on the Peavey I was seriously looking at the MB112. The design is intriguing.