Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practice amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maverick, Mar 9, 2005.

1. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    need a little advice guy's. i've been out of the loop for a couple of decades and my old custom sound trucker amp has started to buzz and crackle. it's time for the old girl to be cremated! i'd like to start off with a small, reasonably priced practice amp, but whats the best out there these days? :help:

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I really like the Ashdown Perfect 10. Small enough to sit out of the way but still sounds decent, and is pretty reasonable pricewise.

3. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    had a look at the ashdown... excuse the pun but looks sound advice. cheers

4. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    I use a little Trace Elliot combo amp. Compact enough for practice, strong enough to handle small club gigs. Heavy little mofo, though!

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'd also like to mention that when I had it, the SWR Interstellar Overdrive's power amp section coupled with a 2x10 or a 1x12 made for a really nice practice amp. :)

+1 on the Trace btw.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    A former friend of mine had a Peavey TKO 100. Its a 1x15, 100 watt into 4 ohm, 75 watt into 2 oms, combo amp.

It did'nt sound too bad either.

Peavey TKO 100

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What kind of amp is that? Is it a tube amp? If so, there's probably a simple fix. If not, if it's a solid state amp, definitely jettison it and get a new one. :)

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Behringer BX300

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If I were looking for a practice amp, I would like to check out the Ashdown Perfect Ten MiniRig.

This little setup looks to be very cool for a practice amp, but I doubt I'd be using it on gigs. We really need someone on TalkBass to get one of these...

10. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    replying to nonsqtr... the custom sound trucker amp is/ was a 50 watt box. it was one of the earlier transistor sets. i bought mine in 1979 and was a great piece of kit. only trouble was it weighed a ton and was blamed for the wheel falling off the van on the way to a gig! shame i haven't got any piccies.
    to the other guys, thanks for the imput, i'm sifting through!!

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've use a Peavey Microbass (50 watts) for 6 years now. My bandmates are still impressed at rehearsals as I've rarely turned the volume past 5...and this is with 2 guitars, drummer, and keys! I've even used it for a church gig in an emergency (adequate, but I'll never do that again)