Pre-amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azsfcsh, Feb 17, 2006.

1. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Hi, i have a question on preamps.. I want a type of distortion on my amp but it just does not seem to have it.. Right now im using the Eden Nemesis NC410 combo, but at times i would like to be able to switch to a tube overdriven sound. Im kind of refering the sound to the sound that Cliff Burton got on his bass solos. Now my question is, what preamp should i run through my amp i have now in order to achieve this sound? Also, im kind of looking for something inexpensive, for i have no income right now. Also, I would like to keep the sound that i have going through the amp its self, but when needed, i could hit a switch or something, and switch to the distortion. Would a preamp be able to do this, or is there something smaller that would be just as easy, and less expensive? Thanks.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think you really want to look into distortion pedals. the big problem is, most are designed for guitar, and even the ones for bass tend to cut out your low end. however, you'll be able to find one that is for you if you look hard enough. try the effects forum for more help.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Boss has the ODB-3 bass distortion pedal. Behringer has one that is shockingly similar ;) and it's only $20. sells them for $19.99 with free shipping.

The SansAmp Bass Driver is perhaps more tame, but more flexible too. Believe it or not, Behringer has a similar device and the aformentioned online dealer sells them for $29.99 again with free shipping.

The DigiTech bass overdrive pedal sounds pretty good too.
  4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The Ampeg BSP (Billy Sheehan Preamp) has distortion and overdrive sounds/channels. It's kinda expensive, but I just picked one up used for 300. Not sure if it's footswitchable, but I'd be willing to bet that it is.
  5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ibanez Phat Head Distortion/Overdrive pedal. Has adjustabilityt of the drive, (how much dirt), bass, treble, and volume. Does not cut out low end. If it does add some with it's eq. Also has a couple of mid switches, and offers a clean channel for just using it as an eq/booster pedal. these can be had anywhere used for $50.
  6. The sansamp (as moentioned) coupled with a nice pedal, like a big muff would be all you'd need. That and a wah for those Cliff-like sounds.......
    I personally have both the Boss ODB-3 and the muff - the muff gets a lot more use, although both are good in their own way.
    Good Luck
  7. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Thanks for the replies guys. Now that i have some info on what to get, i just need to find the time to go try it out if i can... Maybe guitar center has some of it?? Any other way i could try this stuff out?
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    GC won't have the behringer stuff...

Smo mentioned a Big Muff. Behringer makes a Big Muff knock-off too. It's $29.99 at

FWIW, Music 123 has a 45 day return policy (the clock might start when they ship the package (like Sam Ash's does), not when you receive it) with free shipping, you could order the stuff, try it out (with your bass, your amp, your band, when you feel like it, etc.) and if you don't like it, ship it back. The only cost would be return shipping on a fairly light box and what you spent on batteries... Ultimately cheaper than driving around from store to store trying stuff out with an unfamiliar bass and amp in whatever frame of mind you're in at the time...

While it might sound like I'm a shill for Behringer and Music123, I have no affiliation with either one. I do own a number of Behringer products (including some stompboxes) and have been very happy with them. I've also returned a number of their products that didn't suit my needs, so I'm not under their spell either.