Pre-amp Suggestion - Joe Meek threeQ

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by B. Graham, Nov 9, 2005.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I recently bought a Joe Meek threeQ. I don't know many of the technical aspects, but I did want to point it out to you folks.

I've been looking for a pre-amp that accepted XLR in's and had phantom power, and some EQ, primarily for recording my upright with condenser mics. I've not used the item in a live setting yet, but that should happen in the weeks to come.

They retail for $299, but you can find new for $200 or less.
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Let us know how this works out for you. I had been eyeing them in MF for some time and wondering how they sounded.

3. I've been using the earlier version (vc3q) of that preamp for quite a while now both live and in my studio and its great.

for the money (especially here in the uk) little comes close- although studio projects have a new preamp coming out and that looks very nice, although i've yet to hear whether the valve has an overstated fashionable sound (ie designed to be driven hard and distorted) or a simple warmth.

Depending on what type of music you are playing the compressor on the joe meek may be of little use, but the EQ is simple and effective, and at subtle levels will not alter the character of your bass sound.

have fun
  4. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I found mine on eBay, where there was a "Best Offer" on a new one from a dealer. My best offer was $150.00 and they accepted it.

I kind of like the compressor. Not much application, but some.

For me, I wanted it because of the eq, XLR in w/ phantom power, and the flexible outputs.
  5. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    What is the "Meek sound" exactly? I've seen that phrase in several of their product descriptions.

Do the Joe Meek products actually have some type of sonic signature that they are known for?

Not to be confused with a Monk sound.
  6. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Joe Meek was a British recording engineer and producer in the late 1950's and early 1960's -- before the "British Invasion". He is considerd Britain's first independent record producer. His hit records include "Telstar" by the Tornados. He did some radical things for the time, including using massive compression, which is quite obvious by listening to any of his recordings. After his passing, Joe Meek had become something of a legend in some recording circles. The company that now bears his name seems to be trading on his legacy while having nothing to do with the man, who died many years ago. I've always thought that the present-day Joe Meek products are designed for producing a highly processed sound and are not particullarly hi-fi.
  7. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's my read on it too.