1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pre amps and pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Darshan, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Darshan

Darshan

Feb 27, 2008
    I am considering buying a bass that I have been informed has a replacement pre-amp due to damage done when changing a battery. Is this something that could have also affected the pickups?

2. I don't think your question is specific enough. What was damaged? How was it damaged: an electrical short or physical breakage? What kind of bass? Are the pickups active or passive? Does the seller say it makes sound? Does he say the pickups are original or were they replaced with the preamp? Any pics?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Unless they were active pickups, no.

The preamp probably didn't have reverse polarity protection, and the guy plugged the battery on the wrong way, with the bass' output cable plugged in.

That would be the only way that would happen.

4. Darshan

Darshan

Feb 27, 2008
    Ok thanks, actually I haven't heard or played the bass yet.

from what I know they are Active Pickups. So it was the circuit board that was damaged (on a Warwick Bass) and it has been replaced with an Artec Kit. The pickups are the original ones and it is all in working order as far as I know.

5. Darshan

Darshan

Feb 27, 2008
    ..So does this mean that the pickups could potentially be damaged?

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If they work, then no. Does the bass make sound? If they were damaged they wouldn't make any sound.

7. Darshan

Darshan

Feb 27, 2008
    Great thanks very much