Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Has anyone here ever heard of a precision pickups coupled with a humbucker?? I know that their are J/H combos, but I'm talking about P/H combo. I figured that the low end precision pickup coupled with a big bad 'bucker would give off an evil tone.

Plus, the humbucker would be tapable (S/P/S) so I could get a P/J sound out of it as well.

Anyone ever heard or thought of this?? Do any builders utilize this configuration?!

Discovery to the Darkside?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sounds like the Fender Precision Deluxe...

3. I'm not a Fender man by any means... but I looked into it, and yes I guess it's the same idea... But that bass would cost me over a grand to buy, and I don't think I am willing to spend that much on it. The American Fenders are just too overpriced for me, I think they deserve maybe a 700-800 price tag, but seriously, 1200?? Whatever.

PS, Can anyone comment on the tone of this bass???
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Worth $1200, actually.
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You just asked if anyone had ever heard of or thought of it, and I was merely pointing out the most obvious example.
  6. I hope noone took what I said as a hostile comment, I meant it like that in no way whatsoever.

I am glad that you pointed it out to me, it gave me a direction to go in when asking about the tone of the pickup combo, and for that, I thank you.

I'm planning on building a bass, and am just wandering if this would sound decent or not.

Again, I'm no Fender guy, but the more I look at that American Deluxe, the more I get cotton mouth! (*drool*)

7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The american deluxes are worth the money. You COULD find one used. I love my american deluxe jazz.