Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre-cut replacement nuts?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike Money, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I installed nylon wrapped strings on my fretless squier p-bass... the string guage is 65-115 and hte G doesnt fit in its nut slot..

who sells pre-cut nuts?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  3. Fender themselves sell precut nuts. However, the nuts are cut to fit the most common string sets on the market. Yours are a bit out of the ordinary. You will probably have to widen it just a little to make it right.

So do it to the one on your bass now. That's what this forum is for. Just take the corners of the slot off - don't touch the bottom of the slot because that determines the action you've got right now on the bass.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Follow Hambones advice. Work slowly and carefully to avoid making a mistake and having to replace the nut.

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Both Stewart-McDonald (google stewmac if you don't already have it bookmarked...my DSL is down and I'm using my wife's laptop with dialup or I'll post a link) and Warmoth sell fret files. I just put a Carvin pre-cut graphite nut on an old JB copy and it works fine, but it replaced a brass nut I hand-cut for it with model-maker's files 20 some years ago (why did I replace it? Those sharp corners on the brass were starting to annoy me). If you've not cut one, starting with a precut and simply widening the size of the slots will be a good way to learn. You want each string to sit in the slot so that about half of it is in the slot and half sticking up out of it. Good luck.