1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp/EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by manchild, Apr 14, 2010.

1. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Im looking to get a preamp to complete my set up and add a bit of colour/tone to my sound..................

Been thinking of getting one of the following 3:

MXR D.I+
    Carl Martin Parametric Preamp
    Tech 21 VT Bass

Anyone had experience of any or all of the above? What would you recommend or not and why?

Apart from all being capable of being used a eq device, what difference does a D.I output do on the MXR and Tech 21?

Cheers folks

2. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Can anyone give some advice on these products? How do they compare to a standard eq pedal - is a preamp pedal effectivly a an eq pedal, or would it do something more???

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've owned all except the MXR. The CM is a great pedal - completely noiseless and the option of a semi-parametric to shape your tone is nice. A lot of clean boost is on tap too - if that matters. The VT Pedal is quite different in that it emulates other amp tones (SVT, Flip Top tones, etc) - huge array of tones, maybe a little limited just by itself in the EQ area, depending on the acoustics of the room or venue you find yourself in. But again, they do entirely different things to your fundamental tone. If your looking to add growl & some overdrive options in an Ampeg-style vein, the VT is the pedal you want. Great clean-tone EQ shaping options, or to help shape the tone of an existing overdrive device, basically anywhere a nice sounding & fairly powerful EQ could be of service - the CM. A DI simply allows you to send a signal to a PA mixing board or poweramp (if your poweramp accepts XLR input) in much the same way (and XLR connection type) that you would use to hook up a microphone.

4. I use my VT as an always-on pre (yes, I feed a VT into an Ampeg combo...) to basically add a little more presence to my tone. Works wonderfully for me.

5. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Ah right thats great thanks for that. Would you say the CM is worth the extra money compared to cheaper eq pedals (usually graphic)? Does it colour your tone at all?

6. Depending on what you are looking for you might also consider an Submarine or Submarine DE. The regular Submarine does not offer as much in the EQ department but it has tons of tone and character.

7. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    I have a submarine V.1 and it is a GREAT lower cost option.
    I upgraded to a RustyBox.
    Let me know if you want my old submarine. Cheap. :ninja:

8. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Surething thanks man, just having a look at one now

9. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Can anyone tell me if the CM is worth the cost over cheaper eq's and how it might colour tone???

10. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    All Carl Martin (and SansAmp) products are well in the boutique class of pedals - top of the line components used, very ruggedly built & are a clear cut above most any average priced, stomp-box style EQ's or similar pedals out there. The CM uses a built-in regulated power supply with it's own cord built into the unit (no wallwart power adapters to contend with) & adds zero additional hiss or noise in your signal path. It can certainly boost, enhance & sweeten most amps EQ sections - depending on how robust your EQ section already is on your amp. The DI function is a bonus as well - but all this tone shaping is only enhancing the clean tone of your bass. It will not do what the VT pedal does. Two completely different animals altogether - one excels at enhancing the clean tone you've got, whereas the other (the VT) imposes more of a new "voice" and cabinet emulation to your sound, with some EQ tone shaping as well & some very nice overdrive tones that can be dialed in. Most stores have generous return policies - I'd suggest trying one (or both) out.

11. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Surething, i see what you mean - yeah i must do that - thanks for the info ;)