preamp low output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fruitlabor, Aug 5, 2009.

1. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I had a Audere JZ3D installed in my KSD J5 and it seems to have a lower output than the original preamp. Is that normal? I see threads about hissing so I'm aware of that. But I have a Yamaha BB605 w/stock pre and EMGs and it blow this out of the water when it comes to output. All input will help my output. (No pun intended..LOL) Thanks!

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    There's a wide variety in output levels with both pickups and preamps. Many preamps boost the signal to be hotter than original passive output of the pickups, or have adjustable gain controls. The original pre in the KSD might have added a lot of gain, especially if the stock pickups have fairly low output.

The Audere doesn't really boost the output over the passive levels, unless you count the gain adjustments to balance the pickups in low-Z mode.

Mike

3. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks. It's probably where it's going to be. Do you think Sadowsky Hum Cancelling will give it a little better output?

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I have no idea, since I haven't really got a clue how the output of the stock KSD pickups compares to the Sadowsky HC's.

Mike

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is normal for the Audere to be at (or even slightly lower than) the passive level of the pickups. So if you're used to a preamp that provides boost, you will notice the difference.

6. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks Bongo. I thought maybe there had to be a difference. I guess the KSD has a nice boost to it although a lot of haters go towards the KSDs. GOD bless!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021